Older Tv's Compared To Newer Tv's

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Aleece13 • Sep 7, 2016.

1. Aleece13

Aleece13New Member

Threads:
    Truthfully, I feel the older tube TV's are so much better then these new flat screens. Yes, the flat screens have a really nice picture, but they lack a lot of the components and accessories the old TV's were built with. The new TV's are light and easy to break. The only way to get a really good sound from them is to buy a sound bar or surround sound system. Older TV's are heavy and have obviously lasted years and years of being moved around, given away, and even trashed. I haven't had an old TV that didn't have excellent volume on it and the picture is actually as nice as the flat screens nowadays. o_O:D

What do you think about the TV's now compared to the older ones?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most products today are a joke compared. I regret upgrading, to be honest. They're big and clunky, but they lasted a lifetime. Kinda like old timey cars and houses lol. People put care into things before.. even with profit in mind. Now it's just profit.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well we do have those old tv's, and they're the flat screen box type. We have 2 here, 1 JVC and 1 TCL. The JVC one has better picture clarity and color than the TCL one. The huge one where you place on the wall or table, we don't have one yet. But when I watch in such tv's in public or in relative's houses, they seem alright though.

4. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    What's better ? Glass or plastic? I guess you anwer will be plastic because it's more resistant and whatnot, but it doesn't have a big value compared to the glass, the glass is more beautiful, more expensive and therefore, more fragile. The same thing happens with TVs, tube TVs of course have better components an whatnot, but marketing is all about what people like the most and what they could pay more for, that's why people prefer spending money on flat TVs, that's my opinion though.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think those who have LCD TVs some money on electricity as they don't consume as much power as CRT TVs did. That said, the fact is CRT TVs have better display quality than LCDs and Plasma TVs but the upgrade is well worth it IMHO as it'll save you some money each month.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We bought a 40-inch Samsung flat tv 2 years ago. It's working well, no problem. However, we have learned that these new models of tv are somewhat disposable. When there is a problem with the screen, it cannot be repaired anymore. But come to think of it, the old model tv can be repaired but very expensive. In fact, our old Protech TV had a problem and the estimated cost of repair was almost half of the cost of that tv. That's the reason why we bought this Samsung and just threw away that old tv needing repairs.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the UK people were forced to upgrade to to the digital switch over. Now, televisions have inbuilt Freeview but its' only available on newer versions, so if your set is old you will only get limited channels.

While the cost these days is cheaper, I think about the waste, as no one wants an old set and what happens to them? Recycled, or do they sit in an attic gathering dust? I had an old black and white set that I would have kept for memories, but it took up too much room for nostalgia.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    The more and more I go on, the more I realize that you are kind of right. I would have never thought I would say it, but I kind of want a big clunky thing, just because I know it would last. I like my newer televisions, but I am prepared to buy a new one every two years or so. It is hard to go against lighter and thinner, but when you think about longevity it brings up an interesting consideration.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    TV manufacturers know that if they made screens to last, then way fewer people would buy another TV. Nonetheless, there will always be people who want the newest stuff. Anyhow, I have noted that old TVs, assuming nobody has dropped them, tend to last for years. In fact, I use one such TV, a 13 inch, to play video games.

10. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Heaps of individuals say that more established television's have better qualities yet others say new ones are better. What's more, a few people simply don't have the foggiest idea. Well as you read this paper you will discover reality and the contrasts between them unequivocally.

One distinction is what it would seem that on the screen television's in those days had truly hazy screens. What's more, that is another motivation behind why new television's are better in appearance is on account of the screens don't look as foggy. What's more, anyone can comprehend that individuals don't care for hazy screens. I mean I abhor hazy screens, yet other individuals, and what I mean by that is old individuals, as to have it the old design way so they can know how to control it.

The following reason is the way individuals would control the TV's. In those days individuals would control them by turning a dial in the front of the television. Presently and days we utilize a remote and that is the awful thing about the old individuals and young people they are apathetic and ether won't or can't get up to change the channel. So I get it's not an issue in case you're not apathetic. In case you're willing to get up and change the channel then that is not an issue. Be that as it may, I appreciate having to remote.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't find much of a difference as I rarely move my wall fixed flatscreen tv. It occupies less space, is more portable and does it job!

I do not want to crowd my living room with an extra tv stand for the bulkier olden version.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer a flat screen because it weighs a lot less and is less bulky. I can't say anything good about an old television that I wouldn't be able to say about the new flat screens. I haven't had any problems with my flat screen television while my old bulky television had a few broken lights.

I don't see how one can manage to break a flat screen easily unless there are kids around. I've moved my flatscreen around a lot and it works as if new.

13. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I can see what the OP is saying, and the older tube TV's are better made and much more reliable than what we are being offered now, but in terms of technology then I doubt whether most people would trade in their state of the art, flat screen TV for one of the older models no matter how much longer it may last.

It's not just TV's but most items that we buy these days aren't as reliable as the older models, but in many other ways they are better so reliability seems to be the last thing that people will look at.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I get your points but I would go for the newer TVs especially the reigning flat screen. The old TVs are just too heavy and bulky to carry imagine flying with it you going to pay a lot of money for excess luggage. Frankly, I don't think I have any problem with the sound system and video quality of my current flat screen TV. I know they may appear or are more fragile that's reason why I handle mine with more care.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to agree with the whole they don't make them like they used to saying, but at the same time the ones these days are pretty nice, and they are so portable. I have some pretty daunting memories or lugging my old TV up stairs and such, and I do not want to have to go through that again.

16. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was talking to a tv technicial last month, an old friend. He said that the modern tv, those flat and wide screen sets, are designed to be disposable. That means it is not advisable to have it repaired when something goes wrong. With the old tv, they are repairable and the parts were available in electronic stores. But now, I guess we have to be in stride with the technology. By the way, the modern tv is way more efficient in electric consumption compared to the old tv with a picture tube.

17. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with @

that modern TVs are energy savers so I prefer to be with them. Moreover, they occupy very less space. I also feel the picture looks more original in LED TVs compared to old tube versions. TVs are becoming thinner and we can hang it like a calendar on the wall. It is the most convenient way to set up something like a TV. I don't like it to eat away a major part of my living room space.

Modern TVs are also equipped with many facilities like USB port, Internet friendliness and whatever is available in your laptop/PC. All these factors make newer TVs more acceptable.