Older Versions Of Adobe Photoshop

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by DrRipley • Mar 12, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I plan on getting a new laptop soon and I'll probably install Adobe Photoshop on it. I'm just unsure if I should look into buying newer versions to possibly work better with newer Windows laptops. I'm inclined to assume that older versions are much lighter so maybe they would be faster on newer laptops but I could be wrong. I don't really need all the extra features so I could be perfectly fine with a more basic software, but I'm just mostly concerned about the size and speed and I'd most likely just go with which one is faster.

Anyone here with experience on Photoshop software? Which version do you think is best?

2. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried the newer versions yet because when I was still new to Photoshop, I thought that the newer versions can get confusing. That's why I researched a bit on different forums until I decided that Photoshop CS3 is the best version for newbies(that's only in my opinion).

If you have a laptop that has high specs, then the newer versions would probably be the best since you have all the latest updates at your disposal. Photoshop isn't also the memory hogging program that most people believe it to be.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't have a problem with newer versions of PhotoShop, and the newest version is always recommended for compatibility and security reasons. It shouldn't be a problem to opt for an outdated version, although I don't do such things myself. It all depends on what you can afford and what you need, though.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would go with CS6, but it does require more system resources. You could try downloading the free trial from Adobe for all the different versions and see which works best for you.

5. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    CS6 is really great if you would ask me!

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    CC shouldn't be taking any more resources than CS5 or CS6, so there really is no reason to go with the outdated version. That said, depends on what you need it for.

7. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    There have been programs that I like that are used specifically for graphics and photo work, sometimes the upgraded versions are wonderful, sometimes not so much so. Case in point love paint shop pro, but since they became Corel Draw it is no where near as nice.

I have never heard of a program being lighter, I guess you mean not as big? or not as many different apps? Adobe Photo shop is still a great program, if you have doubts you can usually get a trial version and see how you like it. If you don't let it just expire.

8. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    I am using Photoshop CS6 now and yes I have upgraded my older version. Its really awesome to use CS6, there are some new features also available here. You should give a try on this.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on how old of a version of Photoshop you are using. Some really old versions won't run properly on newer versions of Windows. For example, about a year or two ago, Photoshop shut down the licensing servers for an older version of their apps - I think it was either CS2 or CS3. They instead provided some universal serial keys for these products - essentially giving them away for free, since you could still download the apps from their web site. However they cautioned that these old versions were not entirely compatible with Windows 7 or 8 at the time (and I would assume not Windows 10 either).

If you're using Photoshop CS6, I would think that should be fine on Windows 10 for now, but within another year or two you'll probably need to go with a subscription to the latest version of Photoshop CC.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I really believe newer version of any type of programs is better than the outdated ones. I just feel so left out when using an old version so i try to go with the most up to date program and in Adobe PS case, the newest version is fantastic and has more extra added features. It's solid and easier to navigate.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am using the 7.0 version of Adobe Photoshop. An older version is much lighter than this one. However, I don't think the older versions would run properly in the new OS, that is if you are using Windows. When we installed Windows 7 in our home computers, there were several programs that didn't run properly (not Adobe Photoshop though) so I'm afraid that you can hit a snag with a new operating system and old version of Photoshop.

12. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    Every new Version of Windows has different driver Updates for the System. Using an older version of a Software on a newer version of Windows will not yield the full potential of your Operating System. I strongly recommend using the latest version of Photoshop i.e. CC . You just have to try out the newer version of Photoshop to test out the difference before buying it. Good Luck.