Ombre hairstyle

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hellotina • Aug 24, 2012.

1. hellotina

hellotinaNew Member

Threads:
    For those of you who may not know what I am referring to: 1096741_senior_page_amanda.

It is the hairstyle in which your roots are dark and as you travel the length of your hair, it transitions into lighter tones. Tell me what you think of this style and how long do you think this fad will remain "in"?

I have been battling with myself whether or not to hop on the ombre train. Also, would you see this as unprofessional?

2. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I love the ombre look. I do not think it would look unprofessional, specially if you chose a more subtle color difference. But I naturally have this happening, because I bleached my hair from black a while ago, then dyed it a brown similar shade of brown to my natural color. So now I just have my natural hair color growing in, but the bleached part of my hair keeps becoming more apparent with each wash.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, go for it if it makes you feel happy. I'm one who is generally opposed to doing anything unnatural with my hair, so I would never do this. Also, my hair isn't long enough to pull it off, even if I wanted to. But there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it. Try it out, and if you don't like it, dye it back to your natural color.

4. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I like the ombre look, but the colors have to be very similar. For example blonde and dirty blonde. I think that two drastically different colors looks a little cheap. If you do it right you can wear the ombre style in the corporate world. I think the drastic contrast of the colors (for example blonde and brunette) look better on women with a hipster style to pull the look together.

5. QueenPisces

QueenPiscesNew Member

Threads:
    I think it's a great hairstyle, Awhile ago I wanted to try it out because I felt like it would have looked nice on me, but back in the day I used to always dye my hair and never felt satisfied with having one color for more than a month so my hair became damaged so I decided I didn't want to try this out anymore because of the bleach that's involved with achieving the ombre look. Also, the style has been seen on so many people that I feel as if the trend is over. However, I think it looks great on anyone and I've never seen a bad ombre.

6. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I have been wanting to try the ombre effect on my own hair. I wanted to do a honey blonde on top with a dark brown on the bottom. But I am scared that it won't look good. But I think that next week I will be trying it, because I am such a plain jane that I need to start trying things that are different

7. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    This hairstyle is beautiful, I love the color. I think you should go for it. In my opinion this hairstyle does not look unprofessional, I might give it a try, but I will start my roots with burgundy and continue down with lighter shades of burgundy/Cherry.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the ombre hair look. The only way it could possibly look unprofessional is if you did the punk rock colors ,like blue or green. If you stick with a natural color palette, you could definitely wear this look to work.

9. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I like it if you stick to natural tones that suit your natural hair.

10. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends where you work. Some places you can pull it off, other places it might look sloppy.

If you stick with more natural shades, you'll likely have a more conventional result. But if you go for something extreme, I feel it looks a little cheap.

11. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    This ombre hair trend is really cute! Yes, if you want to look professional, you just have to stick to more subtle tones such as bronze and light brown and stay away from outrageous neons and reds.

12. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get my hair cut/styled/colored enough to be able to handle the upkeep that would be required for any dye job. I guess if I was a monthly salon visitor it would be different.

13. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I like the look myself however Im not sure it would fly in a conservative atmosphere. I think it would nice with some colors and a little more punk.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I think the hair looks nice that way but it do depend on the color of the hair also. But I think if the color is nice and you are nicely dressed then there is no problem. Go for it because it will probably stay in style for a long time. I think it looks just great.

15. jaimie_lorraine

jaimie_lorraineMember

Threads:
    I like the ombre look when the color tones are close to each other and are not too dramatic. When the color is going from black to a platinum blonde I think it is a little too much. I say try it if you like it. Hair can always be changed if it does't turn out how you want it to look.

16. Arajoo

ArajooNew Member

Threads:
    I actually adore this hair style. Ombre will be an all-time favorite in my own opinion whenever girls feel bored with their current hair-do. I see black hair with blonde on the ends and they look oh-so-fab. I guess it just boils down to how you deliver yourself.

17. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I like it. Although it's a current 'trend' it's always been in because there are tons of women who lighten their hair once and never bother to touch it up (myself included). If you are hesitant there are lots of cheap and temporary alternatives you can try out first. I've seen tutorials using oil pastels to deposit color. Kool-aid is used too, but I don't think you can go lighter with that.

18. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    It did this with different shades of blonde and it is a lot of upkeep unless you want to look like a train wreck. I have two teen age daughters and love that another poster mentioned Kool Aide! My teenagers use sharpies and Kool Aide. I have to comment on how hard it is to find the packets though. None of my grocery stores carry these anymore

19. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, ombre hairstyle doesn't look bad. I like it. I don't view it as unprofessional.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've always had a thing for ombre in general and I think that when done right, it looks absolutely lovely and can look quite professional. I definitely want to try it at some point :).