On Comparing Prices

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Jun 14, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone I know was complaining that she recently bought something from a store which she believed she got the best deals. However when she had to buy something from another store and had a look at the price of the product she'd bought earlier in the other store, she learned that she'd spent $1 more. Not that huge a difference but for someone who thought she was getting better deals at this other store she wasn't pleased.

What I learned?

Make no assumptions that you'll be getting a better deal in one store. Before buying anything make sure you compare prices in at least three stores if you are shopping in brick and mortar stores.

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always compare prices in different stores, no matter what I'm buying (unless I need something really urgently and only have the time to go to one store). I wouldn't be too concerned about spending an extra $1 on a high ticket item, however I would make sure that I checked prices before I bought anything in the future.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had posted in another thread about the trick of haggling in flea markets. Roam around and survey the prices, make a mental note or better yet, list down the prices. Make a comparison and haggle if necessary before the actual purchase. That way, you would be free of the mistake of buying an expensive item. It always happens to me before. I would buy something and later I would pass by a store with the same item that is cheaper. Especially when we are abroad, I never escape that pitfall that's why during our last travel, Bangkok has lots of clothing items, I roamed the stalls in the streets to check on the prices on our first day. On our second day, that was the time to buy.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Comparing prices before buying anything is something that I've always done too - so yes no doubt it - in order to ensure that you are making the most cost effective purchase, are getting the best value for money and are not paying way more than is actually necessary - its always wise to do plenty of research and compare prices both on and offline - prior to parting with any money and especially so when it comes to big ticket items.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I always compare the price of things I buy. Especially if it's a big ticket item but I do it on everything if I can. I buy dish washing liquid in one store because it's 2p cheaper than in another one even. I'd be going past anyway to get home so if I can I'll stop in there too and save the 2p. The same is true about several other products between the two supermarkets. Oranges are £3 in one supermarket, but £0.69 in another. Yet lemons are £0.69 in the one the oranges are more expensive in and £1.30 in the one that the oranges are cheaper in. So I try to make a point of shopping around to get the best possible deal on everything if I can.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did just that when buying a USB keyboard and mouse set, since the prices of different stores vary, and the other stores were also offering the same item at $1 higher. So my canvassing paid off, and I was able to buy the lowest priced item and I got to save $1 in the process. So it pays to compare prices, always.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always window shop online, find prices to the items I want to purchase then go shopping at sales and check more prices at different stores, so I keep tabs on prices. I always look for in-store specials where I go shopping too. So I buy where prices are the lowest and every now and then with the in-store specials I get items at an even lower price which makes me very happy saving money. Sometimes though I do pay a little more for an item I need and find it lower at another store, it happens.:confused:

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This has happened to me before. I bought some headphones online and I thought I was getting a good price and something unique but when I was by chance walking through a faraway mall I saw the same brand that I thought was rare and found out that they were even cheaper there though not by that much. However considering the distance of the location I guess I could just chalk up the extra payment to the delivery but still I learned that even rare products should be researched.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Never see a deal online or otherwise and assume that you will be getting the best deal possible.The advertising that accompanies most commodities is geared toward convincing you that there is no better offering for the item elsewhere. However, even though the advertisement could turn out to be true, it's wise to do some research to find out this offering is the most reasonable bargain that you could obtain

10. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I compare prices unconsciously, but I generally will compare by default on anything I buy at this stage. I do not trust any retailer for anything anymore, been duped too many times.