One Direction vs The Backstreet Boys

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beri Caudle

Beri CaudleNew Member

Threads:
    I've noticed most of the people picking the bsb were probably in their late 20s. I mean if you were a teen at the time the bsb were popular you're obviously going to pick them. In my opinion One Direction are more successful especially because social media. I think their a lot more cuter than bsb ever were. It's just my opinion though.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It is a bit unfair to compare them, as we have the benefit of hindsight with BSB. I will say, though, that it seems like 1D has encountered a crossroads where they’d like to ditch the boy band image and be taken seriously as musicians. I remember when BSB hit that point and their popularity went on a downward spiral shortly afterward. It seems like that’s one of two typical demises of the massively popular boy bands (the other being the clash of the titanic egos).

If 1D navigates this stage in their career well, they could surprise us, but only time will tell. I hear far less about them than I used to, plus it rarely seems like good news when a founding member exits a group, so I have my suspicions as to how this will go.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right but I love the Jonas Brothers and they didn't become a band until 05/06. I would not pick BSB over the Jonas. I just would over One Direction. However it might just be different with me because I always say I'm the exception to the rule.

True the band will probably fall apart. That's why groups often break up when someone leaves because they know it's not going to be the same. Following the pattern, Zayn would become big while the rest of the group will fall in the dust.

4. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    It's maybe because I grew up in the BSB era, so I choose BSB over 1D any day. I grew up listening to Backstreet Boys, and I love "As Long As You Love Me" and "Larger Than Life." And I think I will choose Backstreet Boys because Nick Carter was my first boy band crush.

I remember a recent concert in Manila, my friend was extremely happy to finally see Nick Carter in person. Reading that news made me happy rather than reading news about 1D concerts. Ah, maybe I had indeed grown up.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmmm, I think all of the Boy Bands have been pretty good. I think Nsync may have had the most talented members however, being as that was the group Justin Timberlake was in. I am having trouble thinking of a Back Street Boys song, but I know I would know it if I heard it.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Heh, just when I said I hadn’t been hearing much about them, apparently they’re set to go on an extended hiatus. This could maybe still go either way, but even if it doesn’t end up in a split I feel for the fans, especially as I’m a fan of a band that tends to go 4-5 years between albums… *cough* And I had the same thought when Zayn left, but the question remains whether he’d have enough charisma and savvy to be a Timberlake type, or would his potential solo career end up going the way of JC Chasez… coulda been good, but made poor choices, that one.

Haha, he was mine too. I had that in common with nearly every other girl in my school. Ah, the memories.

7. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I believe One Direction has achieved a lot more than Back Street Boys. I would have to say I like them better as well, although I'm not much into boy bands. I think with the modern boy bands, they market them for a much higher appeal that even appeals to older generations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.