One great way to save money when travelling

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jan 18, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fine this might not work for everyone but if it comes down to saving dough then you can do ANYTHING it takes to save money, right? If for example you want to visit the Alps but hear of a cheaper mountainous region you could visit for less, then you need to change your mind and instead visit the cheaper place. Huh?

Sound like going to the extremes to save money?

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No. I learned from that TV show "Extreme Cheapskates" that you have splurge every once in a while. For example, dream trips should be just that and not a watered down version someplace else. In life, you do have to treat yourself at times.

hawaii-.

Attached Files:

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What about misers or the kind of guy who whose main source of pleasure is counting 'the gold coins' he's saved? Well, maybe sometimes people go all wrong with thinking that if you get yourself something nice, you're wasting money.

Really? So why work or do business if you don't intend to spend that cash? Wouldn't it be better to just stay home?

4. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    If someone really values his/her money that much, then he/she just shouldn't go on any vacation.

A vacation is something where you go to relax, not to count your money and find the cheapest deal for everything.

My savings tip for vacations: Don't plan ahead, just wait for the promotions. Register at a travel promotions website and you'll get an email with promotions every week. If you see one you like, book it.

5. CliffLife

CliffLifeNew Member

Threads:
    I would have to say I can't completely agree with that. If you have your sights set on a particular area to visit and travel too, then you can't settle for anything less. The only way I feel like this is viable is if you're a real travel freak, like me, and you have multiple areas you want to visit on your list. If one's cheaper than the other at said given time and your finances aren't looking the way you expected them to, then go visit the cheaper one on your list. You can't substitute your dreams though, you'll just visit that one at a later time.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I look for least renting when it comes to a room or a space. I don't really go for hotels coz they are expensive.

7. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    When we go on holiday, we like to settle into one place and really get to know the area. Staying in a hotel for a week can be very expensive, so we use airbnb and rent a condo or house. This allows us to also save money on food since we can cook meals at home instead of going to a restaurant for 3 meals a day.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    No way I would do this. If I really need to save money when traveling, I'd still go where I want to but try not to spend that much on fancy drinks and other unnecessary stuff. Eat at the cheaper places, find little local stores further from the beach or mountain and you're golden. But to exchange the travel of my dreams for lesser sights just to pocket some change, never! I'd rather stay at home and count my pennies :p