Online Holiday Shopping

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TheKnight • Jan 3, 2017.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    When it's the holiday, things usually cost less online than they do in stores for some reason and especially groceries. Right when you visit the site, you immediately are greeted with special offers such as 20 to 30 percent off of a 50 to 100 dollar purchase. I think this is because the purpose of going to a store is you're already there to shop while in online stores, most people easily compare prices with the click of a button or people just wondered onto their site so they try to catch the customer's eye.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right about the discounts during the holiday season. In fact, it’s not only in online stores but in all stores that I see in the mall. My wife is a shopper in online stores but only on selected items. Her haunt are pet accessories like dog clothes, leash and collar, etc. She also buys lotion for her skin (I think it is more of a body soap). But with clothes, she would buy them from the stores in the mall because she wants to be sure hence the fitting of the clothes is important.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    People take the advantage of holiday seasons for there are many things sold in a big discount. Other businesses have it as their closing out sale especially when New Year is about to end. In like manner, online stores are also giving out freebies and more importantly the big rebates for purchases made by their customers. We have a local online store which we use to patronize as far as our electronic, clothes, toys, and everything we need for the seasons are in a big or low discounts sales.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Your assessment is right but when I go through most of these heavily discounted items I think most of them are either of no use to me or already priced more than worth. I don't see any extra discount on branded items and I do not want to spend my money on unknown brands of shoes or clothes. In fact I had to return few of these items I purchased last month.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    The website that I visit actually mostly never discounts just a select number of items. It's usually a discount for the entire purchase such as if you purchase 50 to 100 dollars in total items, they will discount 20 or 30 percent. All items are priced the same as before the discounts so I know they didn't just mark up the prices.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually we do not see offers like these in our shopping sites. There is no such provision even on Amazon in our country as they do not offer bundled sale. We have to opt for individual items from different sellers and even if the combined cost is more than $100 we have to pay courier charges if the individual items do not come in a particular price range.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe because it doesn't happen in USA websites. Maybe it would work if you purchase from foreign websites and most of the time, the shipping doesn't cost too much. Also, some foreign websites have companies inside of the USA. It's also strange that WalMart doesn't have those offers because the website I use is owned by the WalMart company.

8. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    whether you shop online or offline, if you shop at the time of holidays, you are entitled to many benefits such as discounts, freebies, gifts etc. When the holiday is around the corner, I begin to save money. When the holiday knocks the door, I make a list of things that I want. I buy huge during the holidays.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am registered with Amazon, eBay and other international companies too but they have to act according to local rules. You know if they offer deals which disturbs local business the local governments have to set certain rules in place to safeguard their interests. We are still far behind in online shopping compared to what you have in America or what we see during our stay in other countries.

10. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    During the holidays, though there are usually huge discounts on shipping fees and some even cost-free. What's better than staying at your house and having the store bring you everything you need for free? It's way better than going out to shop in crowded stores, no?

Maybe that's true but there are some websites that still give cheap items no matter where you live. They don't own physical stores but they still give decent discounts.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, during the holidays there are discounts left and right, but don't be mislead, because not all prices online are cheaper. Sometimes, they're even more expensive than the items in the mall! So always compare prices before buying first to get the cheapest price or the best deals.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Agree but the shipping charges are too much to avail those offers. I have mistakenly transferred $ 21 on a site associated with Amazon while working for Mturk and there is no way I can utilize them because the shipping charges are too high besides the custom rules will apply which is another discouraging factor.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    As I stated, though, during the holidays not only do they discount items but they heavily discount shipping fees sometimes. I've seen on a few occasions that Amazon offers free shipping for certain items as well. When I talk about saving, I'm talking about the whole deal. I wouldn't purchase anything if the shipping nullified the savings.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Yes during holiday seasons sellers tend to offer more discounts in a bid to make larger sales. This has become a routine that even customers are now aware of this sales style and would wait to shop around this season for a more cost effective purchases. Last holiday I took advantage of this holiday sales to buy two pair of shows at over 50% discount on each pair.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I did a lot of shopping from Flipkart and Amazon in December and January this year and I saw tons of email notification in my email about discount but most of the items either did not attract me or their price was not suitable. Maybe people in other countries get better deals compared to what we get in our country. Besides I have yet to see Amazon waiving off shipping charges if the amount is less than INR 500 in any case.

16. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Actually there are geniune discounted items both online and offline during holiday seasons however, it is not new to see that there is still a huge profit margin for the seller in certain items.

It is for one to analyse, compare and buy what is best for them.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can see my browser is filled products I visited in last couple of days. I have been shopping offline as well offline in last few weeks because I am about to leave for a country which is too costly compared to my own country. Some of the so-called online best deals were as much as 50% extra compared to offline store prices. Yes, the best deals which I availed were in electronic section only.

18. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, there are discounts during the the holidays every where whether it's online or offline. I do like taking advantage of such sales and sometimes like to stock up on necessary stuff or shop for last minutes gifts or gifts for birthdays and the next Christmas day.

19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Yes you are right the sellers still make their good profit even when they are offering high discounts. I think this goes to explain that during periods of no discounts they are making a great deal of profit. That could call for a jamboree.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That is the secret of these so-called festive discounts which is nothing but taking an advantage of mass demand. I still feel that even the discounted price is more than what we get in local markets. This is true at least for my country where people love bargaining, large number of sellers and very big quantities to be disposed within festive time.