Online Safety!

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Eiko • Feb 13, 2015.

1. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    I am a huge fan of online shopping, it allows me to place orders for things I'd like to have without the worry of going to a store to find out it is out-of-stock or overpriced. It's been a lifesaver for my holiday shopping and just about anything from prescription glasses to a bag of pet food. With that being said it's really important to keep your online privacy and safety from identity theft in check! I was the victim of identity theft when I was 17, and I would not wish that nightmare on anyone. Through the years I've learned a few tips and tricks to keep my identity safe and shop online knowing that all of my information is secure.

The best advice I could offer to anyone shopping online is: make sure that there is a secure connection between you and the website! This can be easily spotted by a small green padlock next to the URL of the website, or the HTTP beginning of the URL being green! This typically pops up for a user when they are entering sensitive personal information such as credit card numbers or social security numbers.

Does anyone else have any online shopping safety tips?

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I just try to look for redirects, and I'm super careful of what files I let into my computer...
    And hardly use anything but Paypal, and Amazon.
    Also, read up on phishing.

It's messed up enough that they can probably just hack Amazon, and get your credit card number from them, so don't be waving you data online :D

3. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    That's true. It's hard to be fully protected online when it comes to shopping and entering your personal information for websites and programs. My best bet is usually playing it safe, as you have said, and sticking with companies I consider safe. Amazon is a big one for me since it has just about anything and some pretty awesome deals.

You can never really be fully protected, but sometimes taking the extra few steps in order to protect your information can make a world of difference.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love shopping online. I agree you can't ever be fully protected, but you can take steps to protect yourself all the same. I always use either my credit card or Paypal account. Also, I always read a lot of reviews about the online store to make absolute certain it's legit.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The simple and easiest way to avoid getting your identity stolen is by using services online payment servces such as Paypal when you are shopping online. Good thing about Paypal is even if someone steals your password, you can dispute the transaction and you'll get your money back.

Also, bookmark the sites you frequently shop in to avoid phishing attacks since when the URL of a website you are visiting appears similar you'll just click away and find yourself on an entirely different website.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can use private browsing when shopping online, then do so. Don't open other websites and focus on the store where you intend to make your purchase. Certain spammy sites have built-in bots that are capable of tracing your movements online - the sites you've visited, login details, surfing hours and other personal data. And I agree, if there's an alternative payment option other than using your bank account, then use that.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    If I am going to make a purchase from an online store that I have never shopped at before, I will do research on the company ahead of time. There are websites like Ripoffreport.com that users can go on an complain if they have been ripped off by a company before. Online reviews are great because most of the time, people will not lie about it if they have been scammed by someone. With major national chains, you really do not have to worry, it is the smaller companies and "no name" companies you have to be leary of.

I will also buy gift cards from the grocery store and use those to pay for some purchases online. If there is an issue, then at least the company only has my gift card number, that has a set balance, as opposed to my credit or debit card information.

8. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I shop on-line all the time and have not had any major problems. I always check my credit report and bank accounts for any unauthorized activity. Even though there are people out there waiting to gain access to your information, I will not let them scare me and keep me from using the resources that I have at hand. We all just have to be very careful, and if we become a victim, we deal with it as best we can.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have been shopping online for years from reputable companies and have never had an issue with people taking my money. You just have to be very careful and research the companies before you shop. Check to make sure the payment screen is secure and that the site is a legitimate one.

10. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    If a page ever opens up and tells me I have to sign in, they're probably going to snag my password. I have had my info stolen before, and my page hijacked. Most people use the same password and log in information. If they can get you to sign in they will be able to steal your identity.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watched one news report recently that featured this person who became a victim of identity theft after he used an internet cafe and his credit card details was stolen online. He said he forgot to log out. So my advice is to not use a public pc to buy something, because even if you log out, public pc's have lots of malware and viruses that can get your details. My memory card's files disappeared the moment I inserted it in an internet cafe!

12. Lushlala

Threads:
    Wow, that was unfortunate! I hope that person was able to get it sorted and get his cards cancelled before the people who did that caused too much damage! It can be a living nightmare to have your identity stolen.

13. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I always put in my card on trustworthy sites or sites that have the green thing next to it. Because it should tell you that it's an encrypted connection or something so it's safe to enter it. But if there are any websites I'm not familiar with, forget it, I'm not even shopping there. Not risked getting scammed or my identity stolen... Man, I can't imagine getting my identity stolen at 17. I'm really sorry, but there are people out there who just live off of other people. They just take from others like it was theirs from the first place. The worlds sick and thats the truth.

14. purplepaint

purplepaintNew Member

Threads:
    Another thing that you can do is to check your credit card transactions frequently. Sometimes sites make genuine mistakes and double charge you for purchases, but somebody could have stolen your card details.

15. Lushlala

Threads:
    This is so true! I'm not in the habit of doing this but recently signed up for telephone alerts, which I'm glad I did because the equivalent of $1 300 went missing from my account. It took days of wrangling and going backwards and forwards with the bank until the money was put back in my account. I think it helps that I'm a lot more vigilant and notice every single penny that leaves my account, with money being a little tight! I've become a lot more eagle eyed than before.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a bag from Mizzue last week and it was delivered yesterday. But surprise of surprises, the delivery (DHL) was asking for a tax of 1,200 as per the receipt. To think that the value of the item is only 1,800 and I was being asked to pay a customs fee of 1,200, huh. I wonder why the shipment came from Hongkong when Mizzue is an online shop in the Philippines. I still have to clarify this later.

17. Lushlala

Threads:
    I have to say customs fees are a nightmare wherever you go! We experience exactly the same thing as you here, where the charge is just below the value of the item! Electronics are the worst. The same thing used to happen to me in England, because I shopped a lot from Canada and the US. I guess it's something we'll just have to grin and bear.

Hmm....it does sound a bit fishy that your online store is in the Philippines, yet the item came from Hongkong. I'd also query it. I hope that the item you bought is genuine, too.

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I had already emailed Mizzue yesterday. It is an online shop that is located in Manila where I reside so it should not be a problem when it comes to delivery. But I had pointed out in the email what happened and it appears to me that they are not well versed with what is happening. So I even said in my reply email that the goods they import from Hongkong should land in their office and from there they would deliver to their clients and not straight from Hongkong to the clients.

19. Lushlala

Threads:
    The plot does seem to thicken! I also don't see why the online store that's based in the Philippines would send stuff from Hong Kong. It makes you wonder what exactly the link between them are. But for Mizzue to be clueless is a little worrying! I do hope that everything gets resolved for you :)

20. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    I am a frequent online shopper and this is what I mostly follow when taking precautions:
    • Always use PayPal. Try to avoid sites which doesn't offer PayPal.
    • Check that you're entering your details in Secure HTTPs links and make sure that they are green.
    • If you're going to purchase something off a site that is not so known, first check the reviews.
    • Always be alert when you enter information. Don't enter your credit card details again if they request it!
    • If you're using PayPal, it is best to keep practice that you change your password every now and then.
    These are the basic things that I do.