Online Shop

Discussion in Suggestions & Feedback started by Noreht • Apr 14, 2016.

?

Is a forum DIY goods shop a good idea?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I think it might be a good idea for the forum to work towards an online shop. It should only sell Diy creations by members that are active in the forum. This will help us all earn some money as well as save some money as you can provide discount for forum members, etc.

What do you guys think?

2. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! I think that is a fantastic idea! I love purchasing hand-made crafts, something that's just so personal about them. And, I'm willing to pay more (as long as it's reasonable) for them. I encourage anyone who makes their own crafts to advertise them in these forums along with a link to buy them. I know, if I like them then I'll certainly buy them!

3. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I actually make my own furniture out of pallets and my latest creation was a crude changing table for our baby. I am still working on refining my skill, but I'm getting there. I also did a pretty need cross for our entertainment room.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you mean on this particular forum, or that the site owner (or someone else) should consider creating this type of venue for those who frequent this forum? I think it would be a great idea, and I'd love to see what y'all create, as well as seeing supplies available in the areas where posters live. I do source some of my materials from overseas, and I'm always in favor of a community type approach, so it'd be great to keep some of the funds in house, we could offer discounts to other members/posters.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I would enjoy that as there is so much competition on some of the other forums that feature home made crafts and goods. I admit I am not that much of a crafter..but I have done some things that have turned out nicely. I also want to make some creations out of wine corks, but corks aren't as easy to work with as some materials. One thing is a trivet...but you need and embroidery hoop for it..and I keep forgetting to look for or buy one. I could have yesterday, but I had some other stops to make.

6. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    Not necessarily on the forum itself, but as an extension of the forum. This will people from outside to also view and purchase the goods. I think a healthy discount should then be given to forum members, based on length of subscription to forum and number of posts perhaps. Just an idea from my side would love to get more feedback on this.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea just like putting up a cooperative of sorts that all the members would benefit whether you are the seller or the buyer. However, I might be left out because I live in the Philippines and distance matters when it comes to deliveries. But then again, members of that website should be confined to an area so the delivery would not be an obstacle.

8. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    Delivery will play a huge part yes, and I know how you feel as I live in South Africa, but I still feel it is something this forum needs to be able to grow and develop into a community of people that are passionate to save money and help each other to do so.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a good idea and I am sure a lot of people would take advantage of that type of opportunity to make a little bit of extra money. I am sure there would be a lot of work that would need to be done in order for this to happen though. Probably more than someone would be willing to add to their already busy schedule with the forum.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that would be a great idea, and I think that to be able to access the shop of the member, then it will simply be an added option on their profile page, like "Go To Shop" or something. Then they will be taken to the member's store.

11. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I like the idea, especially as an adjunct to the forum. I'm in favor of bartering and other variations on the typical economy, and discounts for participation and sharing, etc., could be helpful to all. As @Corzhens@Corzhens mentioned, a cooperative that benefits both the buyers and sellers would be good, especially since we're all looking to save a little money while gaining value. I agree that shipping could be a concern, but that would be up to the involved parties, and they could work out the details.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I'd rather get a discount because I am a forum member at other sites. Forums are for discussions and finding information too, so I think it's best to get a discount at other sites because you're a forum member only. Sorry.

13. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    It does not need to be an online shop per say. The forum can open up a new sub where members can advertise their goods and negotiate with other members on prices. They can sort out delivery on their own term.

14. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything bad coming out of it. Maybe I am overlooking something, but if it just an online avenue for people to see things then it seems like a good idea. Maybe security is an issue, and now that I think about it that is probably the biggest issue and I am not really sure where to start there. Oh well...maybe someone is out there figuring it out.

15. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I have been on sites before where members would arrange to buy and sell items privately, and even exchange ones they had with others who needed them, at no cost. One issue I could see if the transactions were between individual parties, rather than via shops, is that there would be no method of working out disagreements. Invariably, there would be one person dissatisfied with some aspect of the transaction, and it wouldn't be good to have that bleeding out into the forum as a whole. If actual shops were involved, there are policies set in place to resolve matters. That might be able to be handled through the PayPal (or whichever payment system were to be used) system, though, because it seems more and more people are selling individually on there, without having actual shops.

16. emuzeskylow

emuzeskylowNew Member

Threads:
    I am totally with you on this one. It should be an extension and not really on this forum. And the discount strategy is simply perfect if it can be implemented that way.

17. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    A great idea for all these crafty people out there looking for make a living out of their DIY skills. I endorse this motion. Forum can gather prospective customers too, and people interested in learning something new about making DIY goods. Is a matter of quality rather than scope.

18. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea for those who have something to sell. However, for those who have nothing to sell,how can they make use of it. For a person like me, a provision to promote my website will be better. Every member has different requirements, and the forum cannot cater to each requirements. You see what I mean?

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I think it's a very good idea! But I'd say if you were to go ahead with the idea, open it up to complete novices too, don't just open it to DIY enthusiasts. I think sometimes that's the mistake that forum owners make, all these rigid rules about knowing everything about the subject matter. I feel that someone who's clueless but has a huge amount of interest in the subject matter could also add something to the discussions. Just my penny's worth :)

20. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I never meant to exclude anyone, nor am I attempting to create a niche. It is merely a suggestion and why do you feel excluded? You can promote your website or perhaps advertise your services as you would do on any forum if it is within the forum rules. I specifically suggested DIY as it is generally cheaper to buy from a DIY'er than a shop and at the end of the day we are all here to save some money.