Online Shopping Is Better

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Nakitakona • Oct 12, 2016.

1. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Sometime in June, I shopped online to look for a honey and I found one. I was convinced for it was a fresh honey in a bottle. The price was affordable. I completed the order from the online market which I have been using many times. Their service was reliable.

My order arrived on time. I opened the package and checked. No problem for its the honey I saw on the online market. However, it wasn't the correct quantity I have ordered. I emailed the online shop and I was told to repack the item and resend it to the forwarder without cost. I didn't bother anymore.

Have you experienced ordering from the online shop and received the wrong items? What did you do?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the title of this thread that online shopping is better in some regard because it is convenient, just clicking some buttons and the goods will be delivered to you. It is also cheaper than in the real stores because online stores have lesser overhead unlike real stores that rent a business place. However, when there is a question in the product, that's when the problem comes in. I had a bad experience in buying a garden hose online that is defective so I returned it and later it was sent back to me with a note that it is not defective. But it is.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I once purchased a five meter long USB cable for my WiFi dongle from Amazon, but it was not powering up my dongle as promised by the seller. I bought it from Amazon as it was not available in the open market. Then I sent it back to Amazon detailing the reasons of return and my money was credited back in a few days. But I had to bear the courier charges. So I never go online to buy electronic gadgets or accessories if it is available in the offline market. It is very time consuming to return the product if it is faulty and also you have to take care of courier charges.

It is always better to go for good brands than saving some money on local versions. As you can’t test it before buying you never know its level of quality or if it suits your requirements or not.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on what you're buying. I don't think I'd buy too many groceries online, for example. I'd usually prefer to examine them and pick my own.

When it comes to other items though, I just can't beat the convenience. It saves me time (and pain) when I can shop online. I'm hoping to do all or most of my Christmas shopping online this year. It helps that I earn gift cards too, so there's that.

I try to be careful and do some comparison shopping, read reviews, check seller ratings (if applicable), and always check out the shipping costs and return policies.

There are issues that can still arise, but so far, I've had very good luck using Amazon for a number of items. It's helped me save time and money.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    On the whole I think that shopping online is better but only for some items. There are things still that I would only ever buy from the high street, things like clothes especially. There is always an element of risk when you're buying online as you haven't actually seen what you are getting.

No matter how good the reputation is of the seller, mistakes do happen and when they do, with the amount of messing about you have to do sometimes to send the item back, it's simply just easier to go to the high street and buy the item face to face in the first place.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I've only ordered a mirror from an online shop and it was half the size of what it claimed to be. I just kept it because it wasn't very expensive but from then on, I just ordered from trusted sites such as WalMart or any major store that I can simple visit and complain to.

7. Muntic0re

Muntic0reNew Member

Threads:
    well sometimes is better, and cheaper, but sometimes the product in real isn't the same as it was described

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless it's a branded product I would never buy it online. In most cases they charge more than normal market prize besides the shipping charges on smaller things make them even costlier. So unless it is something that I know I am saving especially on branded product with no shipping charges I would prefer buying it from local market.

9. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I would compare and buy. Many times the quality is not satisfactory. I have never returned a product despite wrong size thrice for the same product!

Instead I gifted those items. I still believe touching, seeing and feeling by self makes shopping more palatable and worth.

10. DMlad

DMladNew Member

Threads:
    Even though it can be deceptive I agree that it is better since you can do all the shopping from home, and often find better deals, however you should still look around in a local store because perhaps you can find something better or cheaper, you should never rely solely on one method of shopping.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is options for better because depending on the item, some things just are cheaper in store. There are products I can only get online such as certain herbs and vitamins that SwansonVitamins.com has for a good price. SwansonVitamins.com has a reordering deal if you buy $50 and over you get free shipping. I live in Hawaii, so I got to pay a surcharge for deliveries to Hawaii. I found out though many things I need isn't available on Oahu shops, so I got to get it online. Luckily sites like SwansonVitamins.com has good deals. I like to compare prices online vs in store and get the best deals to save money. I had just one slight problem, a zipper on a bag I bought wouldn't close all the way. It was with a seller on etsy.com where they got an email type customer service with the seller. It got solved, for I found that the zipper needed to be just so to close, and I got the bag in the position to close. It was such a good price and exactly what I wanted, so as I worked with the customer service I decided to keep it. The customer service did tell me if I wanted to return it I could, but the zipper does work. Well, I kept it and told the customer service I'll put some wax on it-they thanked me and that was that. One other time I bought a factory defected model of a good deal on a microwave oven. I loved the fact that it came through the mail for I don't have a car. Too bad it just was defective. Walmart took it back and refunded me. Just wasted time returning item. Online shopping is okay, for I bought things I can only find online so I like it too, but still watch for the best price I can get whether online or in store.

12. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Shipping is expensive at my place. So I when it comes to food I may prefer to go to the local farmer's market. I only shop online for non edible goods. I do order food online but only for hard to find products like exotic meats or veggies.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    If we analyze just the practicality, online shopping is perfect. You can buy from anywhere, any time you prefer (and still get great discounts sometimes). But I particularly still prefer the old way of doing the shopping (especially when buying involves foods).

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done food shopping online yet, but I already have received the wrong items when I was buying several bags on Ebay that were being auctioned. I guess the seller thought that my bid was too low, so he or she sent me 2 cheaper and smaller bags. So I filed for a dispute and I got my money back, even if I wasn't asked to ship back the item.

15. arachnophobik

arachnophobikMember

Threads:
    I find online shopping more convenient for me because I wouldn't have to go to a mall just to check if a certain store has what I have. Aside from that, nothing rivals the discounts online shops give you when you order online. I think the only downside would be clothing because you can't really check if clothes fit you until it gets delivered, and the delivery time which may take a few days depending on your location.

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think online shopping removes the hassles of the carrying the products. It is competitive so you get the good price compared to offline shops. And another thing is that it is also better if you want to make use of the discounts and low prices. This is not something that offline shops can offer you. So I'd say online shopping is lot better on that front.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, online shopping might be convinient in some ways like by saving time and sometimes even money and it's quite simple. But to me there is nothing like shopping directly in stores as I can check things before purchasing them and to me it's actually quite fun. When I don't have time though online shopping it's the way to go but I usually buy food and pick up in store.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Online shopping is very convenient I quite agree with this. What I need do get a list of the items I want then visit a few sites offering them for sale compare the prices and finally settle to buy from the one whose prices and offers seems better. The fact, I shop online not very often and the many times I have done online buying my items have always arrived in the conditions I expected.