Online Shopping Newbie

Discussion in Online Shopping started by onliner • Mar 25, 2017.

1. onliner

onlinerNew Member

Threads:
    Shopping online is one of the things I've never done in my life. But due to some book that I really need, am considering executing my first online purchase in a few weeks time.

So I'd like to about any other costs I'll have to incur besides the price of the book and shipping. What are some of the issues that may arise considering that the book am interested in is found on Amazon(US) while am in Kenya?

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well that is actually exciting, so I hope that you are embracing it. I also say good move looking to others for advice, because that will certainly save you some of the headaches that we all came across early. Number one, for me, is avoiding attaching a card to site and making it so easy to buy.

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Congratulations on making your first online purchase soon.

I have no idea what other costs might be incurred besides the price of the book and shipping.
    I always check out the "refund or return policy" when shopping online, how the online store will react if the items don't reach me or are broken. The customer service is important to me as well, whether they are friendly and responsive.

If you are interested in buying books, I suggest you also check out Book Depository, as they offer free shipping worldwide. I always buy books from Book Depository as the shipping cost is always very expensive to me, as I am staying in Malaysia.

For buying books at Book Depository, you need to take note of these:
    1. The price of the book might be more expensive than what you can find in Amazon, as they absorb the shipping cost. (For me, it's still cheaper if including the shipping at Amazon.)
    2. It might take some time for you to receive the books. It actually sends out quite fast, but I am not sure if it's because of the custom in my country that make it so long. It's not registered mail anyway, and that's why it's cheaper too.

So far, I have no issue with buying books from Book Depository, except it always takes me a month to receive my books.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One thing I like about buying online is ebates.com/. You get money bac when shopping from ebates.com. Ebates.com gives you a free account, you choose where you'd like to shop, shop and make sure the ebates account is open (it closes automatically so for security reasons) then they'll give you money back during certain intervals during the year. You get money for shopping, which is great. If you have any trepidations there is always customer service at amazon and ebates. Once I forgot to go to ebates and shop and I asked if I could get the rewards from ebates, customer service gave me the money even if I forgot to go to ebates first and then shop, great!!! When shopping at new sites, check with BBB.org to see if the company is a good one no matter how cheap it is check with BBB.org and for reviews on the company. Usually a good business will have BBB accreditation or google trusted site somewhere on the bottom of the first page you land on. Always check sites, so you don't get cheated. It's fun and you'll get it when you shop online. Free shipping is a good bargain too so check for it and what you got to do to get free shipping. Sometimes some companies have free shipping at amazon too, so window shop a while before you buy so you get the best prices. In no time you'll be a good shopper. Check for articles like how to be a smart shopper online too. Happy shopping, oh yeah one last thing, stay on budget, so you'll always have fun shopping and have money to shop with. Window shopping is fun for you'll find out the best prices like asking sale price or discounts on what you're shopping for, but remember to check bbb.org for good companies to buy from.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Congratulations for the brave move. I feel being in Kenya it is better to get items drom a countey which is geographically nearer to yours. This will reduce the shipping cost foe you. Because many times if you ofder from faraway, your shipping cost may be almost equal to the book price. Consider this.

I just received my parcel from Snapdeal. I had ordered lingerie. One I opened today moening and the fit, material and colour was perfect. The other one I will be opening in the evening! So excited.

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    That is really good. You will have to look for the shipping and delivery costs that are incurred and also you should look for the transaction fees if you are using credit or debit cards. :)