Online Work is not easy

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Lady350 • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

@Sealpikachu@Sealpikachu....thanks for your response and yes, I agree with DreekLass....you don't have to apologise for the delayed response. We're just glad you have responded at all LOL Wow, you must be very good at this! I actually feel a little intimidated because I couldn't type as I listened to the audio, I'm just not that fast with my typing. I'm the stop and start type of transcriber. So chances are I'd take forever doing this LOL

2. Lushlala

Threads:
    I think I agree with DreekLass on this, @artyarson@artyarson. I think you'd be best off finding some discussion forums specifically around that sort of thing, that would be a lot more enlightening. I've heard freelance sites are a lot more rewarding and even though it can take forever to gain 'traction', the more work you get, the more rave reviews you receive, the more lucrative it gets! I've been toying with the idea of getting into it for ages, but never get round to doing. So kudos to you, I wish you all the very best :)

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, working online typing for so many years has helped me with the listening and typing part. Yes, there will be moments where the audio is going to fast for yo to type it as it plays. But I am fairly good at keeping up with speaking voices whilst I type up what is being said.

4. Lushlala

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass...you sound like you're really good at this! I couldn't type and keep up as I listened LOL What I find I'm struggling with with my current transcription gig is when they butt in and talk over each other. It's trying to isolate the individual voices and ensuring I've captured them both that's especially hard. With this job, I'm just glad I'm not so much on a timer because it's my very first foray into this type of thing. But now I'm not so sure I'd want to do online transcription work, it's way too time consuming!!

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, I have always been a writer. So, from a really young age, I have been using laptops and desktop computers to type up my stories, and I was often eager to post my stories so that I could get feedback from the people who were reading my stories. Over time, I gradually got better at typing speed. I can close my eyes and type fast and accurately now

6. Lushlala

Threads:

Wow lucky you, kudos to you, mate! I kind of envy you that. There's no way I could ever type with my eyes closed. I remember once seeing this lady typing and talking at the same time, all while looking everywhere but at the keyboard! She didn't know I was watching and admiring her work LOL I was totally blown away and really wish I could do that :(

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, it's muscle memory isn't it? I have been typing fast since the age of fifteen. We had computers in secondary school, so it started with those computers. They would let us type up our work on them. That lady you mentioned reminds me of myself lol. If you practice speed typing though, it might make you more equipped with your online transcription applications.

8. Lushlala

Threads:
    In my opinion, it's a great skill to have! I remember a few years ago, I signed up for an online typing course through my previous job. I was actually enjoying it and was looking forward to seeing if I could successfully improve my speed and accuracy. Alas! I never completed it because things got on top of me, and I had to let something go. At the time, I was also doing two NVQs in Customer Service, and they were really eating into my time and energy bank. I sometimes wish I'd seen it to the end :(

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, I am sure that you could go back and do the course again? I don't know if it was a course that you had to pay for or not, so it would depend upon whether or not you had the time and money to spare. But writing as the words appeared in my head, really came in handy for helping me to type fast. Transcription and captioning work is really no different. The only difference is that you have to punctuate at a different speed, where as if you are just typing what is in your head you have more grasp upon what the punctuation will look like, as apposed to listening to something for the first time.

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    Yes, it was paid for by work, and as far as I remember, it wasn't cheap! Right now, I couldn't afford to pay for it. Although I bet there'll be all sorts of free resources through which to learn on the internet. Yea, I suppose just as soon as I can find some spare time, I could do that :)

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    @johnjacobs@johnjacobs....you have a good point. Some people think online work's very easy, especially when you hear about the sort of money I can make. Of course, what they don't know is that it takes a lot of patience, can be very up and down, not to mention very demanding. I have a friend who is desperate for me to hook her up, but I don't think she'd do well at it to be honest.

12. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I think online jobs can help a lot even if you do not see big results in the very beginning. It does take a lot of time and motivation to keep on going. Stay motivated and just see it as some extra money and not as something that will actually pay your rent or bills. With time you will see the results. Don't let yourself get discouraged.

13. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Yes exactly! Over time you are able to do the work in less that twice what the audio lasts. This is still a long time but then,if you get really fast, it pays really well. You do want to mantain a good rating though so I usually go back and check eitherway v

Don't feel bad at all! I usually do that lots of times through an audio as well. Some audios are way more difficult than others too. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get amazing quality and others not. I have gotten some where they are literally in a club and I just can't do it because there is no way to understand what they say.

#193Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  14. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Sealpikachu@Sealpikachu .....thanks again for your response. Oh, I know exactly what you mean about bad audio! I just feel like tearing my hair out sometimes. My offline transcription gig was meant to have finished, and I was actually looking forward to that. But the lady I'm doing the work for came back and begged me to do more. What I've now noticed with this new batch of audios, is that I'm getting faster and faster! When I first started the project, it could take me about 4 days to transcribe a 45 minutes audio file! Now I've scaled it right down to a day. Of course, it helps if the audio's clear. But this has really boosted my confidence and so I think I'll persevere and continue to seek out transcription gigs. I was going to chuck it all in after this gig LOL

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Are there ever any unfair ratings issues? When I work with websites that work on a rating system, I always seem to have issues, along with others, with unfair ratings, and there being no recourse in the matter, although a lot of sites will revise the ratings if they think they are unjust.

16. Lushlala

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass....the ratings system can be a right nightmare, and so soul destroying! I'm just glad that so far I haven't had a problem with the ratings over at Fiverr. I've been very lucky because so far I've only dealt with good clients there. Although, I did work with one who was very difficult to work, and it would be the one with whom anything that could go wrong did go wrong. It was a total nightmare and I fully expected him to give me a low score, but he was ok! So touch wood.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, if there is one thing going for Fiverr, it is that there isn't really an in-built ratings system. But you do get reviews/ratings and feedback from the customers on whether or not your service was good or not, so that other potential customers will know what they are getting into when they buy your gig. Rating systems are an online worker's worst problem, because they are subjective in a way.

18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    I am working online for the past years already and it is not that easy. You have to choose the kind of work that interest you. You must have the determination and hard work too. Before I write articles at Odesk which is now Upwork but I stopped already due to conflict in my time schedule. I am now concentrating posting in forum sites like Postloop, The Forum Wheel and Forum Coin. The income is not that big but if you will put them all together it can make a decent amount of money if you are hardworking.

19. iRoxas

iRoxasNew Member

Threads:
    I've actually tried so many of these and yea, doing all that work and hours and getting such little payoff is so discouraging, but I kept doing it because I was then able to buy my SSD a few days ago because of it. Now my computer is going to be so much faster now because it's going to be running on it and apps will open so much quicker. I also started doing postloop and I hope it goes well for earning money too, since I still need to buy more RAM xD.

20. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely can't replace a regular job, but I still find it to be worth it. I am trying to start a little business on a shoestring and I am using my earnings for my business investment budget. It may keep me from needing to break into the regular money which will be good!!