Online Work is not easy

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Lady350 • Aug 19, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm not sure. Maybe you should write your resume as a "work-in-progress." Maybe you want to rely more on your 'cover-letter' or your 'references' to win you the job, and think of the resume not as a "list of accomplishments" but 'foresigns of big things to come.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have signed contracts from online work that were sent to my home. I was still paid peanuts. I understand what you are saying, but some online labour - and the online employer knows this - takes WELL over what it would take an offline worker to earn the same amount. The way that most of these online money making opportunities are set up are TIME CONSUMING - more so than offline jobs to make the SAME wage. In fact, many online websites do this on purpose. They have the work be time consuming for little pay and stupid cashout rates, hoping that users will provide the work but give up once they realize that reaching cash out is going to be too time-consuming. The only way to cheat these time consuming online job requirements is to use a bot, in many cases. And these sites are always sophisticated enough to know when a user is cheating with a bot.

Why should not having to wear a uniform and being free cost people so much money, when the work is still getting done??? Nothing will ever justify it to me.

3. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    You need some skills and paid training before you decide to work online from home. It is the only thing that will separate you from the rest and earn you some decent income. It is certainly not easy but what work is ? Yes there is always the exception where you get lucky and land something high paying for little skill but most of the time you will have to work hard and showcase your abilities to land the higher paying jobs. The easier the job is to get, the more the work is tedious and less paying. Also most of the easy online jobs have a rating system in place you have to be vigilant of. Otherwise you will have whatever you earn cut in half in an instant.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    The fact that money is so difficult to make - decent money anyway - really makes me understand why there is so much criminal activity in the world. It's like the decks are geared towards the masses. and God forbid you are not one of the typical peons, and you are a little bit different. Then money can be ever harder to earn. So I do understand paid to click websites where the owner scam all of its users. I don't agree with it. But I understand that it is fast easy money. Not everyone is built for a regular job, and when there are scant other opportunities, people will often act out.

5. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Part of the reason it is not easy and or lucrative, is that people from Indonesia, Phillipines, India, etc are willing to do most online tasks which pay peanuts, because in their countries the money they make can reasonably support them, whereas in the so-called "developed world", like North America, Europe etc, you'll be fortunate if you can make enough online to pay your light and phone bill.

If you find something which can actually pay rent or a mortgage note, consider yourself very blessed.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    This is a very interesting perspective. I hadn't really thought of it this way before. On the flip side of things, though, there are certain websites that don't allow workers from some of the countries that you mentioned above. And they still pay absolute peanuts. I think that if a person works online, then they should be getting paid decent enough money to at least pay ONE of their bills. Not even all, but just one. I don't ever think that anybody is going to be able to pay their mortgage with online work unless they own a website. But paying one or two bills in full should be possible each month. The fact that that isn't the way that it is is ridiculous.

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    My strategy has been to try to move up the 'evolutionary chain' in terms of online money enterprises. I've started out with a few PTC but I'm gradually moving away from them.

I want to be able to have a variety of options (which should help reduce the boredom), but also to increase the return on my time by building up those options. And, of course, referrals. Clearly some sites are designed to be lower skilled and can take a lot of time to make a few dollars. But it's good to have a few of those alongside building up some writing gigs, which should hopefully be more inspiring and more lucrative.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I discovered PTC quiet late in my online money making ventures. Never again will I invest actual money in one. And you'll know that if you don't invest money in them, then earning money is slow going and you don't get paid much at all. The best thing that you could do is find the ones where you can earn the money the fastest, and watch as many videos on them as possible, converting the points from them to money later. That way, you can collect thirty to forty dollars at one time, depending on how many sites you are at at the time, and your click rate.

9. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Correct. That is one of the reasons Mturk stopped hiring applicants outside the US. It was getting watered down and the HITs were being done for 20% of the price that they are now. You can't expect people in the West to live off of that while in the Third World countries it is enough. Not more than enough but enough.

10. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    You just got to work hard . Nothing justifies doing anything criminal to make money. Unless you are in a really bad country where that is the norm rather than something looked badly upon, you will find something to pay your bills and at least have a solid meal and roof over your head. There are countries where no matter how hard you work, you pretty much stay at the same pay grade + inflation throughout your life. At least in America or the Western world you can rise through the ranks with hard work and learning new things. And as a result have a better life for you and your family.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's pretty normal to be discouraged. Clicking for pennies is the modern day sweat shop. We're lowering the bar. As long as there are poor people, there will be those who find ways to take advantage for profit. I can't believe some of the online stuff I'm seeing right now.. actual thought and work goes into much of it and you're paid pennies.. next to nothing and yet treated like an employee. Threatened to lose your pennies if you don't up your game. The whole thing makes me sick actually.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I disagree. A lot of things justify engaging in criminal acts in order to make money, in order to survive, or in order to make sure that your family survive. We live in a system where if you don't have money you won't eat, which is ridiculous. Your most basic needs as a human being will not be met. Again, ridiculous. Of course people are going to resort to criminal acts in order to survive, because opportunities to make money the 'regular' way are not always readily available. I kind of don't blame them in some instances lol.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it were just a matter of working hard, there wouldn't be such a massive gap between the rich and the poor. There wouldn't be single mothers with 2 jobs stealing meat to feed their kids. It's not as simple as working hard and that's the problem with our society today, romanticizing an expensive degree and all the riches that follow. Jobs are getting harder to get and the easy ones are getting harder on their employees. It's not about working hard.. I'd say most working poor would agree.

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it was just a matter of working hard then tell me why I've been out of college for 3 years and not doing anything except GPT sites. Sure working hard might work if you don't make a lot of mistakes along the way but if you do you can't just undo them by working hard. You have to be likeable to employers which takes a lot more than just working hard. If you have a lot of strikes against you making you unemployable it's nearly impossible.
    Also by "anything criminal" you mean things like not reporting your taxes no matter how little you make, then I definitely disagree with you. Depending on who you are, sometimes you have to lie/be something you're not to get ahead.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    My problem isn't that I'm unlikable. I can fake my way through any interview, and every interview that I have ever had, they've told me that I am one of the most employable people that they've interviewed. I just want to work on my own terms, since you know... it's MY life and everything. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather die than slave away worrying about money and work for the rest of my life. Literally, I'd prefer death. And on top of that, people who do work only make peanuts most of the time??? What the actual fuck!!!!????? Are you kidding me???? I love how the government always have all the money in the world to fund wars and the military, but never have any money to help the homeless or the people who cannot afford education. Hmmmm. I wonder why that is.

16. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I say keep pushing and don't give up. You should eventually be able to earn at least at least nice pocket change on a monthly basis. There may even be some lucrative opportunities out there but of course you have to keep searching.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    It's hard in the fashion that it tends to pay peanuts, regardless of how many hours you my put into any one particular job. And to find online jobs that pay well, you often need some type of qualification, but even then that is not to say that you'll get the job, with other people with the same qualifications also applying for these jobs. For example: graphic design jobs and coding jobs and such. Thanks for the positivity Misslisa :) But pocket money just doesn't cut it. I wish that earning money online was easier. It is definitely easier than it used to be years ago. But I hope that it becomes easier still.

18. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    Your absolutly right! I do agree that it is not enough, and I wish that I could find a better paying online position that actually pay enough to help pay some bills and maybe even buy some food for at least a week. I do believe there are some positions out there, its just the matter of finding them, applying for them, and being approved for the position. even though I believe that there are some lucrative WAH positions out there, Most of the companies don't want to pay anything or very little to get the job done.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I also wish that I could find a better paying online job. A lot of them are also uncertain as it pertains to how much you can make, and how much you will actually make. For example, some online websites will have the potential to earn a certain maximum amount, but most of the users on the website will only make a percentage or fraction of that, due to a rating system or ranking system or whatever. So sometimes it is pure luck, and other times it is about the work that you put into.

20. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    These are all beermoney ideas.
    Small change that you spend on fun stuff (like beer!) The only people I know who make a living online are web developers.