Online Work is not easy

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Lady350 • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for your input, @DreekLass@DreekLass. I really appreciate it. I really was looking to get a feel of what I'd be doing just from a very basic standpoint. You know, the listening into the audio, testing my typing speed and the complexity of the whole thing just to get a very general picture of transcription work, online or offline. -and I must say it's really opening my eyes to that whole world, and having read some feedback from people who regularly do it online, I can see where they are coming from. Stuff like a 10 minute audio clip can take 30-45 minutes to transcribe, that it can get tedious etc. But certainly, I'll have to do some online to get the full picture :)

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a shame that there doesn't appear to be any transcription software. Well... I suppose that you can just use windows movie maker, or if you are looking for something more complex you could use Sony Vegas Movie Studio to get some practice in lining up the transcription captions with the actual speakers in the videos, but I don't know if it works the same way on actual transcription websites.

3. Lushlala

Threads:
    I don't think I've heard of the Sony Vegas Movie Studio software. It'd be interesting to check it out! So thanks for the mention. I wonder if it's available in the Apple App store. It sounds rather posh LOL Would you know the price range, even just a rough estimate? I'm currently using something very basic called Transcriptions. before that, I tried ExpressScribe, which wasn't too bad, but kept freezing and crashing, that's why I ended up swapping over to this one.

4. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Online business can be quite easy. Online work implies an exchange of effort for money, whereas business or simply leveraging factors for profit does not require the same degree of manual investment.

5. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    It's not easy looking for online jobs that are really worth your effort and energy. What I do is before starting an online job, I look for forums to see how it really works and what people have to say about it. Oftentimes, you'd come across people who already tried working for that online job and you'd know if it's good or not. I suggest that you research first before you start. That would save you a lot of time and energy.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, the only reason I mentioned Song Vegas Movie Studio - which is quite expensive, and utilized by some of the great s when it comes to film - is because I know of some of the limitations that come with Windows Movie Maker. I was forced to download SVMS in order to complete the project that I was working on in a more expedient and efficient manner. I have never heard of transcriptions, but if you already have a program you are using, then there is perhaps no need for you to shell out money for SVMS.

7. Lushlala

Threads:
    Oh gosh no, I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on it, especially given the job's not paying fantastically LOL I did think the Song Vegas Movie Studio sounded a bit too posh for what I'm doing LOL Sony is one of those very, very old, but also very reputable brands. This thing I'm currently using isn't the best, but it does the job. But even still, thanks, anyway :)

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    You are welcome. Yeah, you don't want to shell out when you are not making any money back and are just getting in practice. Plus, you already have Transcription to help you. I use SVMS to put together an animation, and add sounds to it. I needed more than one sound track, which Windows Movie Maker only has one.

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    It is hard. And it is doing a lot of work for a small salary. I am trying to give myself two hours to do as much work as I can online and then walk away from it. And it I find an online job that pays better, then I will move from my current job to that one. I have to understand, though, that I will never earn what a full time punch the time clock job offers.

10. Meoww

MeowwNew Member

Threads:
    Im also trying to make money online and just start doing that. I hope that I will success :)

11. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    Initially it will take some times but if you have the patience then you will be succeed. Good luck :)

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    The only way that it will take time is if it takes you time to adjust to the ways of earning online, as well as figuring out what you want to do and what you don't want to. There are multiple ways to make money online, but what type of work are you looking for. I would advise staying away from get paid to sites, but that is where a lot of newcomers start.

13. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Hello, sorry for delay! Yes, at first it might take you up to half an hour, but you get fast really easily! My first jobs I was having a lot of trouble with. By my second day, I'd leave the audio on and transcribe as it went, having to pause it maybe once or twice. Edited afterwards and sent. It would take me at most 10 minutes.

I am still not approved as an editor yet since I haven't done that many jobs this month tbh, have been using lots of different sites, but editors have an even easier job! I hope it works out for you.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Don't apologize. Respond whenever you can :) So you are paid in audio minutes, not by how much time you spend transcribing and captioning those audio minutes. I can see how users would get better at the process over time, but it still kind of sucks that transcribing one minute of video will always amount to more than that time to transcribe it, hence you aren't really getting paid for well.

15. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    You have to put a lot for time in for little reward but I think if you're doing something you enjoy it's not too bad, it's easy to get addicted to online earning.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't really know anyone who enjoys their online work. They mostly just do it because of some other issue, that is usually of a negative origin. Many feel like they have no choice but to turn to online work. It can definitely be thrilling when you find work that pays decently online though, before the novelty wears off.

17. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree with you on your point. I have read about jobs that seem fun and promising but as I further probed there were too many drawbacks. For instance, I thought about trying this one job where you pick up orders people called in. It seems pretty basic and easy but the complaints were no parking available, fights for assignments, driving all around town and encountering weird people. After reading this, I knew it wasn't for me.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Me too. The initial discovering of the site is a little bit thrilling, because you don't know if you have unearthed an online earning gem or not. Most of the time you have not discovered a gem, and the more you look into a website the more those delusions are stripped away.

19. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently trying to pull off the freelance thing. I agree, it's not easy and, probably, it has never been. I'm pursuing an online career in copywriting and translations. Is there any people out there who achieved something serious in this niche? What were your major sticking points/hurdles and how have you managed to overcome them?

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't know whether or not you will find such specific advice regarding what you're asking about on here. You might have to go to forums that are more specific to copywriting and or online freelancing. But I do know that with or without advice, making money through this method - through any method, it seems - takes time. Good luck :)