Ooops...I got an XP in 2014

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by jneanz • Oct 3, 2014.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I really hate Windows 8 and my new HP laptop is too touch-sensitive. Anytime I get on a roll, I get error messages and have to do a soft reboot. This laptop was a gift to replace my ASUS netbook (Win 7), which is running out of RAM and other things. I would have done the upgrades myself but thought it would be best to get another Windows 7 laptop by the same manufacturer.

Well, I also wanted something small to take to the library. I looked at the regular retailers and found nothing that could be delivered in less than a week. Then I went to Amazon where I added an ASUS netbook to my Wish List. I'm assuming by this time, my eyes were so tired that I could mistake a donkey for a stallion. So as a reward for my patience, I looked up my order and it says the operating system is XP.

Wow...just wow:eek:

The sad irony is that my Vista desktop (it was a hand-me-down)gives me few problems.

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    For me, the XP is still the best Microsoft OS. My desktop computer is still running XP, and I am not worried even though Microsoft is no longer supporting it. I have no plans to upgrade it soon because I don't like the interface of the new ones. I think that they are too complicated.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bad idea. There's a reason why unsupported system shouldn't be ran. You're literally open wide to every security threat there is. Antivirus or antispyware aprograms are not nearly enough to cover you. It may be a good idea to run an unsupported system now, but trust me, it's VERY easy to get into your PC and steal everything from your credit card info to your personal stuff.. and photos, even non nude ones, actually go for a lot of moeny on the black market.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Huh? Who would be interested to pay for non-nude photos? To fake an identity perhaps?

Anyway I run Windows 7, and so far, I have difficulty installing games in here as compared to Windows XP and Vista. And I wish the "move" option was retained because I'm having difficulty dragging things, so I just use the "copy" option instead. So if I had another pc, I would run XP on it just for playing games.

5. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really see that much problem with Windows XP but it all depends on how you're using your laptop actually. If you're not planning on doing something really over the top and you're just going to do some basic word processing or possibly play some games then I think you're fine with it. Windows XP is the best OS Microsoft has in stores actually so you're in good hands.

However, you might have to mind that XP is outdated now. Some newer applications won't even run on XP and with it comes some security risks which can lead to more trouble.

6. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    If what you have brought is a little netbook, the parts it uses are probably really low performance due to power and size constraints, as well as it is running XP, which means the device is probably quite an old one. If you only use it for some quick research while you are at the library, using it only for mostly text and picture content online, and you have another machine as your main driver, then that machine would be fine, as Windows 7 would be too heavy for it to run smoothly, and for what you use it for, XP would be fine. But if you are planning to use that netbook for games and HD videos, then I suggest going elsewhere for a more powerful machine.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know, but I do know that full face pictures and videos from hacked webcams are a very well selling item in the black hat world..

Untrue. Windows 7 has just about the same general requirements as XP. I'm running Windows 7 on my first-gen Celeron machine right now without any problems.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, no. Windows XP isn't sold in stores unless it's an individual selling a used copy of the OS, or someone kept the disk sealed for so many years. And you're not in good hands - you're in nobody's hands. Don't listen to bad advice like sticking with XP. If you think using XP is still a good idea, then you're highly mistaken. Your security is already compromised since its been outdated for months now, and XP can't even run many current programs properly because they're incompatible.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And those are wholesome videos too? I wonder why there is a market for close up pics considering they can see any pretty face for free online. Oh well, some people just have a lot of cash to spare I guess.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because you can't use a widely available photo to do illegal stuff when anyone can just Google reverse image search it, you need a fresh new face that can't immediately be linked to scam.

11. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    No please don't do that. Even going to Windows Vista would be better than that. Nobody supports XP anymore, so I don't see you keeping it for long. If it's what you like then you should go with it, but don't make this your permanent OS it just prevents progress from being made within the tech world.

12. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks to all commenters. This is my scenario...I have Vista (desktop used when I have to write long reports or edit photos), Windows 8 (laptop that I hate but am slowly getting used to), Windows 7 (netbook I like for its size but lacks the memory I need) and the XP baby laptop that has no CD-ROM so I can't install MS Office. Why so many (and I got a Kindle HDX for my birthday), you ask? I get hand-me-downs from people who say that this computer is lacking something and I take it rather than deal with salespeople.

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I love Windows 8. I was a little nervous when I had to buy a new laptop and this was the option, but after about three hours, I haven't looked back. I also don't want to look forward since so many people harassed Microsoft into reverting back to a bunch of things that are simply useless at this point. Hopefully, they can finally drag the stubborn back to the future in Windows 11.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can make a fake ID card or fake Facebook page with a good, clear photo of someone's face.

15. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Having a windows XP when it is no longer supported is asking to be hacked. Newer security loopholes will no longer be patched. The windows 7 or windows 8 ones are 64 bit systems and have an updated security, even if the OS might have some interface problems. However, once you get a hang of it, they are fine to have. No real issue on my end now.

16. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, so long as the rest of your computer specs are good enough, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to upgrade your Windows to 8. (Although personally I would wait for Windows 10, I'm not a fan of Windows 8.) If you're cheap you could settle for Ubuntu or Linux in the meantime :p

17. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure how much you can do with that outdated OP now that Microsoft has withdrawn all the support for it. So I guess that it's good that you had a glance at your order even tough you were really tired.

18. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Running out of RAM you say? Why not just purchase more? It's cheaper than having to purchase a new laptop actually and if you're running XP just make sure that you're running pure maintenance specially security stuff all the time since it's been out of support for a while now.