Opening up a laptop for repairs

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by JosieP • Jun 12, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need to purchase a few parts for my laptop, but every time I go to remove the bezel, the adhesive stops me from going any further. It's not the only piece giving me issue, but the most necessary at the moment. Anyone know how to get past this stuff? It's pretty strong and I'm afraid to force it.

2. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't recommend opening up your Laptop for any reason. Opening a laptop never ends well. Laptops are very fragile systems, that break easier. Not only are they fragile, but it is difficult to learn exactly how to open a Laptop. Whereas computer tutorials can always be found online, on sites such as YouTube.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I've watched many. I'm not at all worried about it.. it will be a learning experience lol. I already purchased a new laptop since my post, but I would still like to open up the old one without ruining the bezel. I've opened everything else, taken everything out, put it back in and all of those parts are still working.. but what I need to get at is behind the screen and I don't want to snap anything trying to get past the adhesive or tape or whatever it is. Since I replaced it though, maybe I'll revisit all that and if it breaks it breaks.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you have any problems with dismantling a laptop, the best advice i can give you is for you to give up on trying such thing. Desktops are one thing, but laptops are built to not have such simple hardware. and they tend to have pieces overlapping each other to save space.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're gonna buy parts for your laptop, it's best that you bring your laptop with you when you buy. Let the guys where you're gonna buy parts take a look at your laptop. They'll know how to open it up. It's their job so leave it to the experts. You might damage your laptop if you do it by yourself.

6. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I've opened up my laptop several times. You need to be very very careful with all of the screws and parts. Unfortunately, there are times when you have to force things open. That is just the way it is.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I'm seeing that lol. I'm pretty handy actually, this is the first thing I've not gone through with. I can already see how everything is laid out and as I've said, I've taken apart the rest of the computer a couple of times and it's far more complex than the part I'm trying to get at. I already figured out one of the parts I need, the only step now is ungluing the bezel.. not rocket science, just wanted to know if there was something I could use without prying. I guess I'll try prying though lol, now that I have another laptop. I don't mind that much if the bezel breaks, there are many out there I can replace it with. I'm not one for hiring people when I can do it myself.. thanks though!

8. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with the OP. Opening a laptop is just something you need careful preparation and research to pull off successfully. Those bezels usually just need a little extra love when it comes to snapping them off. They actually sell these hard plastic tools that resemble a guitar pick in texture for this purpose... I forgot the name though. Some laptops are actually a lot easier than others as far as getting to the processor/heatsink and removing the motherboard.

I have a dell and an acer laptop. The dell is significantly easier to open and the acer is a real pain. It is actually recommended to clear the dust out of your laptops innards once a year if you are technical enough.

Also, every 2 or so years reapplying the thermal grease on your cpu and gpu(if you have a dedicated gpu) is advisable. All that I mentioned helps with excessive heat and prolongs the life of your laptop.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Awesome, thanks! And I have seen the guitar pick like tool, but that's just for getting the bezel open, no? I've got it open, but there is this super strength gluey stuff inside, holding it together. I'm afraid to use chemicals. I keep talking about it and forgetting to go back and try lol.. maybe today. probably not lol.