Optimizing space: bunk beads

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 20, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that bunk beds are the natural solution for those with kids and little space, I have them in my kids bedroom and I am pretty happy with it. Do you have them as well? Do you feel they are a good solution, cost/benefit speaking?

2. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    Yes, I'm about to move into an apartment that the rooms are not that big, so I will be buying bunk beds for my kids. I think bunk beds is a great way to save space, especially the ones that have the draws that come connected to the bed.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that's exactly what I have, we have drawers as well and a lot of space for clothes and toys, so it makes it really convenient, one piece of furniture solves all the problems! The hard part, making the beds, what an headache!

foto_16990A87-8CA8-473D-8302BAC49F0C6944ao.

Attached Files:

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have four children and the younger two share a bedroom. Because they are one and three, one is in a cot bed and the other is in a toddler sized single bed. In another year, I am planning on them having bunk beds as it will make much more room for them to play in their bedroom. It is very cramped at the moment.

5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I love the look and idea of bunk beds -- but they always feel dangerous to me - especially for small children. Although there are a few models out now that optimize space by putting a desk or a dresser where the bottom bunk would be. Definitely an interesting design.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can tell you from experience that they are not dangerous Nikki, I have my bunk-beds for over one year now and I never had any sort of accident. The worse as I said above is really making the beds, especially the one on top, that is hard work!

7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    As a kid me and my sister had a bunk bed made out of wood.
    I always slept on top because I am the oldest. My kids had a bunk bed for a while and it was out of metal.
    The only think that I do not like is when they start jumping on them and I am always afraid that the top bed part will fall down on the bed below. I have also heard about a fatal incident a couple years ago when a child fell off the top of the bunk bed but these are very rare cases I believe.

8. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Where I'm from, bunk beds are not just for kids. I live in a house with seven other people. We have four rooms and an attic. My parents stay in one room, my older brother has his own, my aunt stays at the attic, my two younger brothers are sharing a room and my son and I are also sharing the master bedroom. He's nine years old now and has been sleeping at my side since he was born. But while he's growing up, our bed is shrinking and he will eventually need a space of his own. If I can't save enough to add another room to our home for him in a few years, I could at least buy a bunk bed instead.

9. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I wanted bunk beds when I was a kid. well because not all of the children in our place know about bunk beds. and aside from that, I want to sleep on the top bunk that's why I wanted one. And I do think it's good for kids to share rooms while they are young. It would totally make siblings closer to each other.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have a strange relationship with bunk beds but that might be an issue for another day. I do like how they really can save some space, and if you are shopping for homes that can make a HUGE difference.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I like that set with the extra storage options. It's also nice looking.

We had the typical wooden bunk beds when our kids were little. I've since passed them along since my oldest has two kids that share a small room. Even the standard set works well.

If I might suggest one thing to those who are considering bunk beds, think about spending a little extra and shopping for real mattresses. The mattresses that come with some sets really aren't very good.

We added plywood to the bottom of each frame and then added real mattresses. We felt it was well worth it, especially after shopping around and getting a great deal on the mattresses. It worked really well when the kids were bigger and we wanted to separate the beds too (we had the kind that can be separated into stand-alone twin beds).

12. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    When I was in a small apartment I decide to by a loft bed (basically the top par of a bunk bed so you can put furniture under it). After about a week I was done. It swayed, when I sat up I hit my head on the ceiling, I was afraid of falling out in my sleep, and it really freaked out the dog.

I also had a bunk bed as a kid and don't really recommend it. It is far easier to disturb the other person and as a kid a bedroom was just for sleeping in any way. I don't think much us gained unless it is literally impossible to fit two single beds into the room.

So... not a fan.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I really liked the image up there of the bunk bed. I have used them at various locations in the past for myself but unless they have side bars and a solid structure they can be disturbing and also dangerous for those who turn a lot plus kids.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Bulk beds are the best for kids, they love them. Usually older brothers stay with the upper bed, and the younger brother or sister the lower, for obvious reasons, meaning, falling down. :) Kids don't have any space concerns regarding the size of the room or who makes the beds, they just find entertaining to go up and down there. :)