Ordering Groceries Online

Discussion in Food & Drink started by nicksab • May 8, 2016.

1. nicksab

nicksabNew Member

Threads:
    I personally have started buying frozen chicken breasts online at a great price and from a trustworthy supplier. I use the website G-Market to place my monthly order of 3 kilograms of frozen chicken breasts per month and thaw out the amount I need to cook week at the start of each week. Besides the convenience of delivery the price is actually much cheaper as well than buying in the store.

Has anyone else had luck with great deals on groceries or frozen goods online that deliver?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've done online shopping from supermarkets but I've never ordered just the one specific product from somewhere online like that. I'd be loathed to pay much delivery for just the one item. What sort of delivery charges do they have? And are they always delivered frozen? I've ordered icecream before but it was all melted when I got it so I never did that again as it was a waste of money.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As for me I've never ordered meats online. I buy non-food items online, but like sometimes to get vitamins and herbs online, would consider nuts if it's cheap enough or some foods like pkg. ones that can travel well that I'd buy online. As a rule I'd like non-food for online shopping or if it's such a good price that it's irresistible that you just got to have well that's a different story.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying groceries online can be convenient and good for saving money as it's relatively easy to hunt for coupons and use them to get discounts. If I still lived in a city, I do my grocery shopping online. I don't. Though groceries aren't cheaper where I live it's more convenient to buy them right here because we get "fresher groceries."

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy bulk shopping online. I don't think that I could at this point. It would be much more convenient for me to do so, of course. But I am one of those anal-retentive shoppers who likes to be able to choose the product from the shelf. I don't like products that have been tampered with visibly. Now, if I cannot get a product elsewhere, I don't mind getting it offline.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was on Walmart.com the other day and saw that there was an option to shop online and pick the items up in the store. I don't find that to be much of an attraction, though, since I enjoy perusing the shelves and selecting the items myself, as well as price shopping and sometimes reading ingredients and comparing labels.

Back when I was working and in school full time, I probably would have really appreciated that option, but these days, if I'm going to shop online for groceries, I want them delivered to me, and I don't want to have to pay extra for delivery, since food and other household goods, including pet supplies, are expensive enough that the cost of delivery should be included in the total already.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't avail of online shopping for groceries because I want to personally see the product particularly the food items. Besides, there are so many cases of mistakes like getting some products you did not order and missing the item that you ordered. Since the supermarket here has always a promo on frozen meat, I sometimes buy the imported Australian beef which is superb when it comes to texture.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I have to say that the whole thing seems a little strange. For one thing I think that it is important to be able to see what you are buying when it comes to food. The sizes of packages can be misleading and that might not be well received, also you have to think about anything fresh. Something tells me that it is here to stay and will probably be growing, though.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, I am finding that most popular online retailers these days have that click and collect option. But as far as I am aware, they still choose the items that will go into your basket, that you will collect, right? I would like it if one could order items online, and then drop into the store to pick what they have ordered from the shelves themselves.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, they seem to do the choosing, and the 'bonus' is that you only have to drive to the store and spend minimal time picking up the packed order. I have seen people on a UK site I visit mention that the stores they do this with (although in those cases, there is delivery involved, not pick up), the store replaces any products the customer isn't satisfied with, which would be great. As far as produce, I don't consider myself that picky, although I definitely check to make sure there's no mold or mushy fruit if it's berries, and I am somewhat particular about my bananas and avocados. I actually enjoy grocery shopping, but it appears I'm in the minority.

11. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Our local grocery stores do online shopping where you can pick up at a drive through or have them deliver.

There is a one time fee, a monthly subscription, or a yearly subscription.

I love it. I find that it saves tons of time and actually, if I plan my trips right with coupons, I tend to be luckier to get things in stock, so it has also been a money saver for me as well.

I order online and then go pick up, the delivery fee is more expensive and not worth it when I'm in and around town anyway.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh they choose the items? Well, that makes a lot of sense, but I would still prefer it if I could pick the items myself lol. I don't drive so picking up groceries would not be my ideal method in any event. Getting the groceries delivered would be my preferred method, because they deliver directly to you. But then there is no control in that lol.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never ordered any frozen meat online. I've ordered fresh meat instead, and it's always been vacuum sealed. I mean, even when i'm shopping in person, I generally steer clear of frozen meat items. I'm not that big into them, they just seem to lose their taste because of the freezing process.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only ever buy packaged goods like cereal or canned goods from these online food delivery services because when it comes to produce and poultry I prefer to be able to check the quality before purchase. I guess if you trust the store enough then it can work but in my case I'm a bit tool rancid so I just choose to buy it physically and only depend on online delivery for smaller items or easier to ship ones. I don't find going to the grocery that tiring anyway since it's super close from where I live.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Same with me, DrRipley. Especially when it comes to novelty foods from other countries like America, and they do not make those products over here - or if they do they are rare or only available in places like London. That is often the case, and I end up buying candy and other foods. Many of those sites try to scam you with the shipping fees though.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I don't trust online groceries partly due to the element of functional risk. Unless I can get their catalogue, I wouldn't venture into this. Some take too long to ship and due to their nature, they arrive stale if they are perishable which is not worth the expense. Some stores use this method to dispense with goods which are approaching their sell by date. They also tend to have inflated prices since hype is created around them for marketing purposes.

17. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I also saw that option in Walmart the other day and and pick the items up in the store. I really like that option since It saves me valuable time perusing around shelves. As long as is cheap enough to order and I can afford the money spent on it.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have never ordered a full grocery online, just novelty items from other countries that are not available where I live. But it is pretty shocking that they would take too long to ship. I mean, it makes sense, but if people are doing full grocery shops, I would imagine that if they have empty cupboards, they would want their groceries delivered on time and with all of the food items still within their eat by date.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Online shopping for groceries is definitely not for me. There are too many considerations for me not go that route. Going directly to the store and choosing the items to purchase can save me the hassle of having to return because of the following:
    a. Items which have expired
    b. Damaged packaging
    c. spoilages
    d. Stale products
    e. Wrong goods delivered
    These are are some of the things that could go wrong with an online order, however when I go to the sources I can examine the items I need to purchase which would allow me to eliminate the problems above which could have been avoided.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't even heard of such an option in the local markets over here. But since I live in an area where there are a lot of markets, ordering meat online is not needed. I can just go to the nearest market, whether it's the supermarket or the wet market.