Ordinary USB or External Hard Drive?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by chiofthenorns • Oct 11, 2014.

1. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    It really depends on your needs, as mentioned above, USBs can only handle quite a limited amount of files, while externals hard drives can store massive amounts of stuff. If you only need it to store a lot of word or excel files, then you'll be fine with a USB. But if you want to store or backup things like movies, TV shows, music, or other files with big sizes, then you're probably better off going for an HDD. I got a 1TB one for around $70, and I probably will not be filling that up for the next few years. So don't overspend and get something you don't need, just consider what your requirements are and go from there.

2. DSymonette

DSymonetteNew Member

Threads:
    I would say that there is nothing wrong with having both. A USB drive is definitely handy when you want to be just super fast and on the go. For instance, I am in college so I typically am running all over campus with my USB for different projects and assignments. It is a lot easier to carry around than a hard drive and not that expensive if I somehow damage it.

An external hard drive is more like an extra database for you to store larger files. The range of space is a lot wider and you can definitely fit more gigabytes onto the external. I have a 500GB external hard drive as I edit a lot of videos so I use it to store the footage. I tend not to move my external hard drive around too much because with my previous one it shorted out and I lost all of my data. So I would be careful with an external as they are obviously very valuable! But yes I would recommend having both!

3. squeeiswin

squeeiswinNew Member

Threads:
    I have both, and I would recommend that people do the same (as long as their budget allows it).

External hard drives are considerably higher than flash drives in terms of storage per dollar. They're perfect for computer backups or significant media storage/archival. It's really nice to have one around and, if you need to bring a ton of files to a family member's house, it's not impossible to transport.

Flash drives, on the other hand, are super handy when it comes to schoolwork or easily lending friends some pictures or something! It's really nice to just be able to hand them something key-sized instead of a 3.5" hunk of hardware with all the cables associated with it.

4. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I have both USB flash drive and External hard drive. I usually used my USB as a storage for my documents and photos while I used my external drive as a backup storage for large data such as office inventory files, movies and large installers. Technically both are the same except for storage size. So if you need something that requires large amount of space buy External drive otherwise just used the USB flash drive. Also buying any of this device depends on your needs and budget.:)

5. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Well, an external hard drive is a pretty big chunk of memory you can move around easily. On a conventional usb you can carry not that much data, maybe 1-2 movies and a few files. I would recommend getting an external hard drive as it's way better.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to use external hard drive over USB drive because they have high storage. They can also be used to provide backup. I think it is best if we think about using hard drive over USB drive.

7. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    USB drives and external hard drives have different purpose. There can be no choice between these two. Since USB drives are smaller in size and will small storage capacity, they are portable and come handly when you want to carry small data. However, external drives are big in size and storage.For bigger data, external drives are more advantages.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    USBs are very nice and kind practical but I prefer the external hard drive because it better meets my daily needs (and I think it's more secure ;)).

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Based on my experience, the USB flash drive is not that reliable when it comes to data storage because the data can be corrupted without reason. And sometimes the entire flash drive is not accessible anymore. My take on the flash drive is that it’s good only for temporary storage like getting your file from the office computer and moving those files into your home computer. But to make the flash drive an archive, I would really advise against it. The hard disk drive is still the best for archiving data.

10. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    In my opinion, USB drives are pretty handy and portable. You may carry it around with you all times so it is pretty convenient to be able to transfer files on the go. I have an external hard drive as I require it to store a large amount of media files. Therefore, it depends on your usage. It is best to go for a combination of both where possible. However, if you can only get one, I would say go for a smaller sized external hard drive.

11. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I advise you to sell your 8 GB USB and add a small difference of the money and buy another USB with a higher memory. I think this is the only solution to save money and have a bigger memory since you are not satisfied by what you already have!

12. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    As said USB will be useful only for storing and transferring small amount of files as the storage space is limited. USB is more used for transferring files. But in the other hand hard drive can store up to 1tb data and it is quite portable too but it's expensive. So buy hard drive depending on your usage. Congrats on your winning my friend.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I have an external hard drive and it is just sitting in a box collecting dust, so I think that answers that question for me. I know that they are valuable to some people, but just not me.

14. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I will go for a terrabyte sized USB. They have the capacity of an external hard drive but they are as compact and as tiny as a USB. They are more expensive though.

15. bomb2060

bomb2060Member

Threads:
    Sadly, the advantage is only one. You get a big storage space. But after that, nothing is good about an external drive. And I try as much as possible to avoid them. My reasons:
    1. Not once but twice I gave left my external drive at the cyber.
    2. Can be easily dropped and that will be the end.
    3. Easy target for thieves.
    4. Have a shorter life span because of uneven power supply.
    Just store your stuff in the cloud. It's safer.

16. Meeseeks

MeeseeksMember

Threads:
    Go to external hard drive if you are needing a lot of storage space. But for me, both for convenience and quality/quantity, external drive definitely got this one in the bag

17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Because of the big storage space of portable hard drives, of course they are bound to be expensive, since most are of 1 TB site. Flash drives are cheaper obviously because they offer smaller storage amounts. I also would opt to use a flash drive for backing my files, since they're not really that many yet, so a 32 GB memory card or flash drive can suffice for me.

18. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    External USB drive is better. Here you can encrypt the USB hard disk. And it can also be useful in case when you have lot of things to properly manage. I have found out that external USB drive requires some effort to properly format during initial encrypted drives part. But if that can be managed then yes it's possible to do so. I have yet to use bitlocker on it. Currently using USB software for encryption. It's cost effective too to get exernal hard drive.