Organic Sweetener

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Dec 9, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There have been complaints about the price of sugar increasing in many countries around the world. Add to this the fact that it has proven to be a health concern. A herb called stevia is proving to be a good alternative. It has 22 times the sweetening capacity ofsugar and therefore its a dirt cheap organic sweetener and also excellent for diabetics.

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that it is organic, only that it is a sugar substitute. That being said, I don't like artificial things in my food; I'd rather eat a little bit of real sugar than a whole lot of the fake stuff. I have not done any real research on stevia, but I've always thought that it was something semi man-made.

Based on a recommendation from someone, about 2 years ago, I bought a box of Stevia in the Raw. I didn't like the taste, and relegated it to the back of a shelf on a top cabinet in my kitchen. I had only used one packet out of the box, and didn't touch it again until a couple of weeks ago when I discovered that I had completely and accidentally run out of real sugar. I used the stevia in a drink. It didn't taste too bad, but as soon as I was able, the next day or so, I went to the store and bought just plain ol' regular sugar.

3. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I know a plant called stevia and I also know that it gives a compound that tastes like sugar.Since the stevia compound is a plant extracts it can be called organic thing. However, I have never tried it myself, in fact it is not available ib the market. However, we can get a stevia sapling from the nursery.

4. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Stevia is awesome in drinks and sprinkled over oat and organic product. It is a multi-reason normal sweetener that is sweeter than sugar, so a little goes far! It is additionally without calorie and has no glycemic affect which makes it ideal for those overseeing calories and glucose levels.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree I love to put Stevia on my oatmeal. I once saw on Dr. Oz about what sweetener is best and the consultant on that day said Stevia is the best choice to use for it comes from a plant. I was buying sugar alcohol because it was the cheapest substitute for sugar and I got a sweet tooth so I love sugar in my coffee that I drink all day long. I need to watch my sugar intake so I switched to alternatives. I buy only Stevia now.

6. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I've just ordered some low-carb health bars called "Adapt Bars"...and the only sweetener they use in them is Stevia. I've never tried Stevia, so I guess we'll see how well it works as a sweetener in these bars that are coming to me in the mail.

Any allergy complaints concerning Stevia that you've heard of? I am a highly-allergic person. But still very excited to try these new low-carb chocolate meal bars. I hope I don't get some type of weirdo-reaction to the Stevia in them. Here's a pic of what they look like.

adapt bars.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I read too on Stevia and seems to be a useful product. However, I am yet to lay my eyes on it and I doubt I will be seeing it in my location any time soon.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know of a guy who owns a stevia farm in the nearby province. He is rich already because Stevia is getting popular here especially for diabetics. It was just unfortunate that I was not able to go to the farm when we were invited due to some of my other commitments. Some doctors in the radio programs (about health) said that Stevia is herbal so it is very safe as sweetener unlike Aspartame. However, Stevia is much expensive compared to regular sugar.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried stevia yet that I know of. I have tried some other sugar substitutes, and haven't had good reactions to them, so if I do try it, I'll do it on a limited basis at first, so I can see how it affects me. I thought truvia would be a good one to use, and also agave nectar, but it seems there are negative issues with both, so for now I'm sticking to sugar. I do like using brown sugar when I have it, and enjoy the flavor. I've also been using a lot more honey, especially in my tea.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have really come to distrust all of the sugar companies and fake sugar companies and all of that. I have never really used the stuff but more and more you hear about how bad they are, that I just can't get behind them.

11. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I am sad to report that the "Adapt Bars" containing Stevia really didn't taste all that great. For starters, they are supposed to be chocolate-flavored, and to me, they tasted like coconut. I could also taste the Stevia in them (luckily, I had no allergic reaction or anything like that) - just didn't enjoy the taste of the bar itself. Oh well. But Stevia seems okay for now, kind of reminds me of sugar with a hint of cream or custard mixed in with it, even though those 2 things are not actually mixed with it, it just has a "custardy" taste to it. Not bad. But very, very, sweet. If you happen to love the taste of Almond Joy bars, then the Chocolate-flavored Adapt Bars would be a healthier, low-carb/low-sugar alternative. Just not for me.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am just getting to hear about this organic sweetener called Stevia. I like using organic substances more for the fact that they have less of health concerns. One thing that I'm surprised about this organic substance is the claim it is higher sweetening capacity than actual sugar. Anyway, I'd rather consume an organic substance like this than going for those with additives.

13. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of this plant and I did see a product made from stevia. It is in liquid form and you would just need a drop of it and a whole glass of water would instantly turn sweet. And yes it is a big help for people with diabetes.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's good to know @Natasha0717@Natasha0717, because I happen to love coconut. The bars are probably out of my budget, but I'll keep that in mind in case I see a good deal on them in the future. Is there any sort of after taste as there seems to be with a lot of the other sugar substitutes? I remember when saccharine was all the rage, and my mom used it all of the time. I tried it, but hated the taste.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    If you are from a tropical country, You can grow stevia on your backyard or in containers like pots. My Balcony is a stevia garden. You are suppose to dehydrate the leaves and ground them into powder but I use the fresh leaves as sweetener for coffee and tea. I know my hot beverage is sweet ones the leaves have wilted.

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think these organic sweetener Stevia falls under the organic or unrefined sugar which is of course better than the refined sugar. The organic or unrefined sugar are easily metabolized in the body for energy. Compared to refined sugar the organic sugar is healthier and least likely to cause diabetes in the body. I'd prefer this natural sweetener to the white sugar for health reasons.

17. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Having a sweet tooth I tend to use artificial sweeteners in my coffee and on my cereals. Otherwise, it would mean that I would end up consuming so much sugar and would probably end up with diabetes.

I haven't heard of stevia before, but being organic it sounds like it would be a great alternative to cane sugar. Every now and again, I like the taste of brown sugar in my coffee as it gives it such a lush lovely caramel taste.

18. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There was yet another report today in the news about suspect sugar substitutes, and that is just too many to count now. I am skeptical, but I would try them in a pinch.

19. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    This can be a good thing as a whole. If you increase the price of sugar content, then that will make people think twice before buying a bag or packet of that nasty and chemically polluted while, granulated sugar. This sugar is so deadly. It literally kills all who eat it.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    When you say suspected sugar substitutes I don't get that exactly. Is it like adulterated or a formulated probably an inorganic form of sugar. This is one more reason I would prefer organic sweetener to refined sugar.