Orijen Cat Food

Discussion in Pets started by chiofthenorns • Sep 6, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    If you are a cat parent, then I suggest that you try feeding your cat Orijen. Unlike other commercial cat food, this brand has no fillers, so your pet will really feel full. I give this to my other cats, and I can say that they are healthier and more energetic. I always buy the six fish flavor because my cats seem to really like it. Here's a more detailed analysis of this brand and flavor.

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Cats are obligate carnivores. This means they can only digest meat. They can't digest fruits, vegetables, or grains. So all these things in this food "chickpeas, red lentils, green lentils, green peas, pea fibre, canola oil, sun-cured alfalfa, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, spinach greens*, carrots*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, cranberries*" are not species appropriate and cannot be digested by cats. That doesn't mean "oh my goodness this is a horrible food." The ingredients your cat cannot digest are down farther in the ingredient list so there aren't there in huge quantities, but there's no reason for them to be there at all. As far as the "instinct to forage" no one is sure why cats nibble on grass, but one theory is that it is because it makes them throw up and gets rid of all the stuff that is put in cat food they can't digest (or the indigestible contents of a mouse's stomach).

There is some really good info on cat food here:

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone also recommended Orijen Cat Food to me, she said that it's good for diabetic cats. Where did you buy Orijen (we're from the same country) and how much did you buy it? I can't seem to see them at the major supermarkets.