Other Investment Options?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by wameyo • Mar 14, 2015.

1. wameyo

wameyoNew Member

Threads:
    When it comes to good investment I mostly hear about stocks and real estate/property. Are there any other viable options to consider when you want to invest?

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Consider life and health insurance as good options, also, think about a good retirement fund as a good investment option too. And most importantly, think up a business plan, businesses takes time, but I'm sure if you have a good plan- you will be well on your way to a secure financial future!

3. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    You can look into what a life insurance will pay on additional funds that are put into saving. Some of the Met Life plans are pretty good percentage wise. The rates of return are much better then a bank savings account.

Another area you can look is into an annuity, you usually need to have a good amount of cash to get a great rate from interest. Most annuities want you to keep the money in for a minimum of three years, so you have to be certain you will not need to dip into those funds.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    You can create a business from scratch. Easier said that done of course, but initial investment can be substantially lower than stock, and certainly real estate.
    Also important to understand what's available in the stock market. There's stock, ETF's, mutual funds, options, futures, etc.

It really comes down to what your goals are, and how much you're looking to invest...
    That information would be helpful if people are supposed to give you any advice.

5. Jxhn

JxhnNew Member

Threads:
    Besides investing in stocks and real estate, one of the best investments is investing in yourself. Seriously. It is a wise investment to figure out in what you can improve, and how that improvement can make you more money. For example, if you are looking for a better paying position in your industry, consider investing into school and getting a degree. Or, invest time in learning how to start a successful business that can earn you money. A business with a solid plan is worth more than any investment in stocks.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    This.

I'm thinking about doing ToastMasters. You should google it.
    Training in public speaking. Just awesome stuff.
    It's also pretty cheap here Portugal. Something like 90$ yearly.

Cheers!

7. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with the Insurance thing.. specially those linked to an investment. Mutual Funds are also good. currencies (forex) and gold (or other commodities).

Also, I also scout for antique items that I could buy and re-sell high! This is also a good idea.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Farming can be quite lucrative. Find some prime farming land somewhere and lease it. Don't buy because you might find it [farming] too dull. Do some research, find out which crops would make your more profits and grow them. This would make you some money each year. Obviously you won't get to be very wealthy but you'll be making enough to live on.

9. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It depends a lot about you really, in terms of your risk profile, interests and time line considerations. There are all sorts of investment options out there (your own business, art, coins, stamps, FX, etc etc) but unless they're aligned with your goals they could be a waste of time. I would focus on getting the personal finance foundations in order first and then look at what you want to achieve in investment terms.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everyone already shared to you the options they believe will make for a good investment. I have life insurance myself which is set to mature in 7 years' time. What's great is that as soon as my policy matures, I have the choice to continue with it or start receiving the amount I already put out. Should I marry or have children, the coverage increases but the premium I pay every month remains the same (look for programs like this if you can).

I also concur that real estate (i.e. property development or rental) is a worthy investment but you will need enough capital and good marketing to succeed.