Our Crap Could Be Your Crap

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ABC123 • Apr 11, 2015.

1. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Yard Sales: What are your thoughts and experiences. I have never ventured into a yard sale, nor have I ever run one. I have gone to Good Will and Consignment shops. I have gotten some nice things for good price s at both these places. Just thought I'd ask since I just saw the humorous sign on the road today that said: Our Crap Could Be Your Crap.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been years since I went to a good yard sale. I used to go to yard sales 10 years ago and find good stuff. Now people are selling the good stuff on Craigslist and putting the leftovers and tacky crap in yard sales.
    Recently , I've found better furniture sitting on the curb on trash day than the stuff I see at yard sales.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve always kind of wanted to hold a yard sale, but I live pretty far back in my area. It’d be pretty difficult to get customers. The one time I helped another family hold a yard sale, I think three or four people visited over a six-hour span. I’ll probably end up selling used books, CDs and such online. I’ve got some sitting around the house, just taking up space.

There are some good community yard sales fairly nearby, though. They’ve tended to be better than individual yard sales, especially for clothing. I’ve managed to find a few things I wear quite regularly, and no one ever suspects I turned someone else’s crap into my crap. ;)

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm actually a fan of yard sales. I don't know about going to them, although it does make for something different, every now and then. But my interest lies mainly with putting yard sales on, so that other people can come and buy my crap? The money is great and plus you are getting rid of things that you don't use. The only issue that I have is with having to throw them. It takes a little too much effort for my liking. But maybe I am just lazy.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been too keen on yard sales - there tends to be alot of kids stuff and not much of anything else. Car boot sales are great though. What happens here is that you drive all your crap to a parking lot and stay there for a few hours trying to sell it, along with a bunch of other people. You can get some great bargains this way.

6. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    Your title cracks me up - I would love to see a sign like that! :p It is pretty accurate I guess. I think the key to being successful at shopping these sales is volume. You'll find nothing but junk at most of them, with a few great deals mixed in.

It also helps to have a specific list of things you're looking for. This will save you from buying things that you don't really need just because they're cheap.

Now the car trunk thing is interesting. I've never heard of such a thing where I am in the US, so maybe it's regional, but an interesting concept!

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Yard sale crap will not be my crap because I do not go to yard sales anymore. I used to shop at them all the time when I was younger, but less people are hosting them now, and the items for sale are usually not that good. I go to thrift stores for my second hand item or shop for them online. It is fun to sit in front of the TV and bid on items.

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I love yard sales :) To look at them and to have them, especially when I was a kid. Mostly, they would be on my way when I walked to somewhere, so I would take a look especially to see what games they had and what books they wanted to get rid of :) In a way, it has advantages over Craigslist: you know that if it's on the table, nobody reserved it or took it yet, and you don't have to go out of your way to buy it!

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    If I pass one that looks interesting I'll stop and take a gander. I've found quite a few things at yard sales over the years, but find that I like flea markets somewhat better. The car boot sales that missbishi mentioned sound like fun for getting rid of some of your junk.

Most of the best deals I find these days seem to be on craigslist. Or, sometimes, in the thrift stores.

The thing about yard sales, I believe, is that you have to be there really early in order to beat the thrift store and ebay people out looking for something to resell.

10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    My sister just had one to help get rid of some of her unwanted things before she moved into her new house. She did well and made some money while also lightening her load.

As for me I used to frequent yard sales a couple of times a year. I wish I still would. I have a friend who has furnished her entire house off of things she has found in yard and estate sales and her home is gorgeous. I don't ever think to see where I might find a good yard sale and don't really have the time to go out and look for those diamond in the rough items that may be out there.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha, I like that. :) I think a lot of times that one person's crap is another person's treasure. :)
    I certainly have found many treasures in garage sales. Things that people found worthless, like pieces of glass or metal that I found invaluable for my mosaic work. :)

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Garage sales aren't popular where I'm from so I doubt the neighbors and passers-by would take an interest in the stuff we'd be selling. The houses here hardly have yards so even if they want to, they couldn't. I did see people selling their clothes and other wares to second-hand shops. If not, I sell them online at the fraction of the cost I once spent to purchase them.

13. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I think yard sales 9 times out of 10 are just crap. On occasion you get good stuff. I'm from the UK and I know oxfam is great, especially for books. In good areas you can find good designer bags also

14. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    LOL! The yard sale host had their ducks in a row on this one, Great sign! Super simple sign that may well have given them tons and tons of free advertising. Its eye catching and a attention keeper. I wish more folks would advertise like this. Makes me think that the host is a happy person, and people most of the times are drawn to other happy folks. And if you feel good at a yard sale you are more likely to spend more money.

15. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Ha ha that is a great sign. I love car boot sales, but I have never actually seen someone having a yard sale in this country, I am not sure if it is even legal as you would probably need a license, you need a license for everything else!

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought anything at a yard sale, but our neighbors used to hang a bunch of clothes outside their gate, like a mini thrift store. I wonder if they got to sell any of them, lol. With yard sales, you also can come across hagglers. At least if it's online you can just simply ignore them.