Outdated Gadgets You Love

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Sep 25, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    9825-nokia-ng_xlarge.

[video=youtube_share;s3xsSwjQ1oA]http://youtu.be/s3xsSwjQ1oA[/video]

Back when the Nokia N-gage came out, I was very curious to try it, but I didn't have my own money yet so I ended up just keeping my existing phone and letting it pass. I was aware of how silly it looked, but I was still curious to try it nonetheless, and I still am to this day, which is why I'm thinking of maybe picking one up from eBay since I'm assuming they are already very cheap by now. I'd love to see what kind of games I can play on it, and at worst, I think it would be a nice thing to have in my old phone collection.

How about you guys, are there any old pieces of tech that you adore? Would you still consider buying them now for nostalgic reasons? Even if not for actual use but maybe only for display purposes. I'd love to hear which outdated tech you guys have fond memories of.

#1Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I still play my Game Boy Advance SP in the fall when I'm sitting in a tree stand. I love it, it's so compact and yet the colors and performance is great. I can sit there waiting to watch the wildlife and pass the time with the game boy. I've got newer devices but that's the one that fits in my pocket nicely and works great with gloves on.
    Hope that fits the bill for you?

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I don't own it any longer, I still love the LG Voyager. It was supposed to be the first "iPhone killer" and obviously that wasn't the case. Still, it was a great smartphone when it was first released in 2007ish, if I remember correctly. The phone featured a full QWERTY keyboard along with a two screens, one with a touchscreen and the other lacking one. I owned that phone for a few years before I upgraded to the Blackberry Storm 2. From there I went to the Samsung Fascinate (Verizon's version of the S1, basically) and then to the Droid Razr Maxx, HTC One M7, and now the Nexus 5.

I wouldn't mind using the Voyager today if it had current specs.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel the same. I have often played it while waiting to go to sleep. It's a nice size for something that has such great performance and it just looks cool to me. Plus the games are better on it than the DS even though I have a 3DS.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still love those feature phones that came out in the 2000's. In fact I collect them, so I buy them on Ebay and various classified ad sites. I hate typing on touch screen phones, it takes forever to type a single word or sentence, so I still use keypad phones until now, apart from my touch screen phone that also has a qwerty keypad.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I still love the Nokia 3310. It's very durable, and it does what I need. Its battery lasts for hours, too. I hope that Nokia re-releases this! :D

7. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    When I was little I used to have an old walkman that I would listen to 90's music on all throughout that era in the 90's and early 2000's. I would listen to 2Pac while going to the seaside with my parents at around 10 or so :D I have very fond memories with that old piece of technology and it still works even now :) it just needs some new batteries.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It's not really outdated but it's really losing ground nowadays. The iPod Shuffle, I love that little thing. It's really ultra portable and it's perfect for somebody like me who just wants music on the go without having to worry about skipping through a whole library of songs that you don't even listen to.

9. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I like my shuffle too, but I'm not sure it fits the bill, since they're still making and releasing them. It's really great for running or exercising because it clips to your shirt and has such a small footprint.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love the old school nintendo products still. Sometimes you just want to stick with the classics :).

11. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I still use my Gameboy Advance to play Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games. It's still a pleasure to hold due to its very ergonomic layout, and compared to my Gameboy SP, Nintendo DS, and my Android phone, it is definitely the most comfortable. Comfort definitely never gets old, I wonder why handheld game manufacturers have substituted the very ergonomic feel of electronics of the past for boxy, rectangular, uncomfortable handhelds?

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure. The 3DS sure is clunky. I can still fit it in my bag but it's certainly not as compact. I am thinking that they made it this way to opt for better graphics. It's not as cool looking on a smaller screen with the newer games perhaps.