Outdoor Or Yard Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by thisnthat • Jun 9, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone play yard games any more? I know a couple of people that might play some horseshoes on occasion, but I remember lots of other outdoor games when I was younger. Those yard darts or Frisbee or badminton or croquet or home volleyball games were fun.

There were others as well, although I don't remember the names of all of them. There was one that had Velcro paddle things and a ball that would stick.

Another thing I've seen that I though was pretty cool is giant checkers or yard Jenga. I went to a place that had a giant chess board where the people acted as the pieces for a game of human chess. I think this stuff is really Neat, especially since I love to get outside during nice weather. I don't always want to just sit around though, so finding something fun to do would be great.

Do you know of any fun outdoor games or where to find some?

2. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would be interested in playing some bocce ball or petanque but I never really played them but you see people playing them in french and italian movies once in awhile. The game looks very fun and social as well and seems to be about rolling some bigger balls close to a smaller ball. This game would be great to play outside and around your yard while having a few glasses of wine with your friends instead of talking to them on facebook all the time(haha)!

3. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I find that these days we play more inside games than outdoor games, but the games that you described seem interesting and worth trying out. I'm sure my whole family would appreciate a day outside playing games together and having fun. Thanks for the ideas. I would like to know where one might purchase such games?

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    That stuff would probably be an inexpensive way to pass the time at a party. Nonetheless, I never have liked that sort of stuff. Instead, I'd rather just go shoot some hoops or so some other sport, many of which can be played in your yard. However, though, I might like yard games if I gave them a chance, but I haven't really fooled with any since my childhood.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    It can be quite fun, especially on a gorgeous day. Since people aren't really that used to it these days, sometimes it takes some urging to get them up and moving. Once they do, they will have fun.

I've found some outdoor games at Big Lots, but other than that, I'm not really sure. I'm guessing that Amazon is probably the best bet. You could also check sporting goods stores in your area, although around here those tend to be expensive. I'm wondering if the home improvement centers might also offer some options. I'll have to have a look next time I go to Lowe's (or check their website).

Well, if you think about the fact that you could use them over and over and get enjoyment from them for years to come, it's not really an expensive option after the initial investment. Other than that, why don't you like them?

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, we played lawn darts however they no longer allow the kind that we played with as they were pointed and are considered dangerous. We played frisbee or ball, hide and seek, and tag as well. I love badminton and used to have a set for my kids to play but it wasn't good quality and has been broken now. I have seen the yard Jenga and checkers that you can have. I have also seen yard Dominoes, Yahtzee, and Scrabble. Those all look like fun but you would need space to store all these games. They would be really fun for parties and other social gatherings.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time that I bought a badminton set so we can play in the front yard. But then, the road is wider and since our road is a dead-end street (cul-de-sac), we can use that for playing badminton. It's a good exercise and cheap too, instead of going to the park to play. Sometimes some friends drop by to play a game or two just to break a sweat. It was fun while it lasted. But due to the busy schedule of my wife, the badminton has been forgotten for years now.