Overcharged For The Third Time at McDonald's

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Aug 26, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I previously had two complaints against a McDonald's location for overcharging me for a combo meal. The last time they did this, I was overcharged by nearly $2, and when I asked the manager - in the process of "refunding" me the difference, they instead *charged* me the difference. When I asked why they did that, she explained that the employee didn't ring it up as a combo meal, but instead rang everything up separately. I happened to login to my bank account on my phone, while I was there to double check, which is how I caught that she charged me the difference instead of refunding me it. When I approached the manager about that too, she just shrugged and said "I don't know" and wouldn't give me her full name.

So, fast forward about a month later, at a different location today, I ordered a breakfast combo for $4.29. The employee tells me my total is $5.30. When I asked why she was charging me $1 more than what was listed on the board, she explained that was because I had a drink with it (??? combo meals include a drink), so I told her to leave out the drink then so she charged me $3.89 instead - not even the original price.

This pretty much confirms my suspicion that there is something going on, either with the employees or the management to do this, thinking it will slip by and not be noticed. Check your receipts, especially if you are ordering multiple items, and make sure everything ads up! And please make sure you email/call corporate if this happens to you.

2. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's really something. It's a good thing you were able to catch it. Sometimes that is the bad thing about fastfood. You always have someone new starting for one, and secondly they have to move quickly so lots of mistakes will be made (with the charging and the food). When you eat out often something is bound to happen. When I used to eat out often I experienced hair in my food multiple times, fries not in the bag, and food that just didn't taste fresh/good. You should also note that prices can vary by location/franchise in some fast food places. I'm not sure if that's how they operate. At any rate, sorry you had such a bad experience.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That sounds weird. The $3.89 sounds normal because it sounds like she just charged you for the sandwich then, which is what she should've done if you took off the drink. I don't understand why the drink would've supposedly bumped it up in the first place, though, unless you somehow ordered something extra special. Bleh.

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    Send an email to their head office off of the website. I have done it before with a coffee chain and told them that they ruined my family's Saturday morning by giving us 5 coffees instead of 4 tea's and a coffee.
    We got a free $5 gift card out of it. It can't hurt. Just don't be rude.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I emailed corporate, again. It's possible the employee's are overcharging like that on purpose, then voiding them after you leave and re-ringing them - and pocketing the difference. It's also possible the franchise owner is encouraging it's employees to do this - which is more unfortunate.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, it could be a scam for employees to get some extra money. Imagine if they take $2 from every customer they can make some good money. It's always good to call them on their mistakes, just so they know you're paying attention. It happened to me before, and when I confronted them, they pretended like there wasn't a problem. After talking with them I got my money back, and I didn't return to McDonald's anymore.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's disgusting that employees would try to scam people out of money. I'm not a rich person, just a single mom getting by so I check my receipts at every store I go to. Life is already a battle. Now you're up against thieving cashiers, so you can't even relax when you go out to eat.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had this problem, then again alot of the fast food I get comes form shops around the neighborhood... and we go there often enough that we know everyone. It's a lot harder to screw over someone you know well enough to speak to, rather then some random person.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I don't eat much fast food anymore but it is good to be aware of this. These type of things can happenother places, too. I have had similar experiences at grocery stores and gas stations so it seem that you really need to watch out for it anywhere you go now.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    That really sucks. Personally I haven't had any issues with Mc Donald's and I've been buying from them for years. Their employees are not that bad here.

11. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Mcdonalds are individually owned, so it is entirely possible that this could be going on at a store in your area. In my experience, I go from store to store and purchase the same meal and it always comes up at around he same price. the only time I notice an appreciable difference is when I'm in different cities.

12. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    Make sure you ask to speak to Manager next time. Explain that this has happened to you on multiple occasions and that you're one step away from phoning the local newspaper to warn them that this "scheme" is going on. Maybe he we reward you with something free or some vouchers. They want to protect their already fragile image at all costs.

13. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, like some of my fellows here, I can't really empathize because I don't even remember the last time I went to a fast-food outlet. I commend you, though, because at least you didn't record your incident and posted it to YouTube like a lot of the other arrogant people do nowadays. You're better off not going to McDonald's period, not just for your wallet but also for your health.

14. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    That's strange. I've never had that happen to me. I don't eat there as much now that I have a family. I did more in college. McDonald's does get my order wrong more than any other fast food restaurant though. Many times there's something missing. I always check in the bag before pulling away from the drive-thru window.

15. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    That's not cool dude. I suggest bringing this issue up to to the Mcdonalds higher ups so that they can address this issue personally. Who knows, maybe you'll get a free lifetime subscription right? haha. just kidding. Anyways, there may be more and more people falling prey to this kind of service so you better take a stand now or risk having more people get scammed by these disgusting employees.

16. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I thought that my friend was being scammed by a national chicken chain. She paid abou$6.50 for two chicken wings and a side. I couldn't believe that price. Perhaps, fast food restuarants are raising their prices. It might be a little difficult for employees to steal money from customers.

17. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    ^
    If they are indeed raising their prices then that should reflect on the price list and the receipt. I think the problem lies with the employees and the manager of the specific chain and I highly doubt it that the higher ups of McDonalds know that this kind of thing is happening on some of their fast food chains.

18. Drainbamaged

DrainbamagedNew Member

Threads:
    That really sucks. Personally I haven't had any issues with Mc Donald's and I've been buying from them for years. Their employees are not that bad here.

19. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I went to mcdonalds, I ended up dropping my tray as i negotiated the steps to go sit upstairs on my own. They gave me a second helping for free at no charge so I have yet to find a issue with them. Apart from the food being too fatty and salty, but eaten in moderation you won't have any health problems from the food.

20. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've had trouble at McDonalds too. I'm glad you wre paying attention and caught the mistakes. When I had trouble it was with the drive through. I was overcharged and got the wrong food. I avoid McDonalds most of the time now. If we do go, I take my time and check the receipt. I also don't pull away from the window without checking the bag.