Overspending During Christmas : How To Avoid This And Save Money

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Heatman • Dec 13, 2017.

1. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    You are welcome, I'm glad to offer anything useful for anyone to be able to save money and avoid getting bad deals when it comes to buying commodities during any festive season.

2. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    My suggestion is try to make a list around the end of October and decide what to buy and what not to buy. When you come up with the list spend add no more on it. Decide who you are giving gifts to and who wants a gift and who does not. If you have friends or family who didn't ask for gifts then don't buy something outrageous just give them each a nice gift card.

3. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I do get tired on spending money on holidays but there are loving people that I care and I must buy them gifts to bring the joy on their faces, I also have a few grandsons in my family that I must buy some nice toys.
    For me, Christmas is the best holiday buy I really get very tired from shopping and helping my wife in the house with cleaning and cooking, etc.

4. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I seriously don't understand what you are trying to convey here. Could you please be at least a little bit more specific with what you are trying to say?

5. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This perfectly suits my plan on how to go about avoiding overspending during Christmas or festive seasons. Once you can pen down all the stuffs you needed to buy and make moves on getting them 3 months before the heat of the event, there is higher chance of avoiding getting caught up.

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Throwing a party for the less privileged is a great idea. However, how do you manage your finance. I mean it cost a lot to throw a party. Sometimes when I have surplus money I also donate food and clothes to the homeless and this gives me more pleasure than inviting people for Christmas dinner.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have no issues with finances specially when I no longer squander on clothes, jewellery and such things that normally take a chunk of our money.

8. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's really one of the most generous things one can do for the less privileged during such period of festive season. It's actually what the Christmas celebrations is all about, showing love and care to any and every one.

Maybe I will take a page out this book later in the future and put smiles on the faces of the less privileged around my environment.

9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I really encourage you to keep up the good work of charity because definitely your pocket would never run dry because the prayers of the less privileged that you take care of is always reaching the heights of heaven and to the almighty ears. He is surly going to reward you.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Christmas spirit these days is no more than Christmas spending, it's a totally consumerist time, and all companies profit a lot from it. I think Christmas is for the kids, so I try to reduce the gifts to them, saving money in this process.

11. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    Saved up a lot this Christmas. I only bought few gifts which are relevant to whoever I'll give those to. Last Christmas, I bought quite a lot. But now since I have a baby, I have to be tight on my budget. I don't have to give everyone a gift, I have to ensure first my family's needs.

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for those kind words. I think that is true. Somehow I have peace of mind no matter what adversities that I may have to face. Having said that I must admit there is joy in giving and I am fully aware of that

13. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Of course yes, definitely you will feel good by seeing those smiles on the faces of the poor and less privileged you aid when they have nothing. Even though you are spending a lot to do so for them, but you are definitely being rewarded as well.

14. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, nice to hear about your new baby, it's always demanding to take care of yourself and a new child. So therefore, it's paramount to be cautious with what you spend on and how you go about doing the spending because with the new baby, any emergencies can pop up at anytime and you are going to need available cash to take care of it.

15. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I usually make a list of everything that I would like to buy. I then calculate the total cost before going to the spermarket for shopping. Even if I find any other thing I feel I should buy, Iwill not buy it but I willo stick to my shopping list tightly. And I will only include appropriate items on the shopping list. Useless things will not be included.

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased most of the stuff though the online cashback sites. And that works out for me. I am not sure if there are any other ways though. I think we have to be really careful about the overspending part these days. Because many times things are not going to be working around the way we think. And that's something more important if you ask me. It's not easy to set things up though.

17. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's very good making sure to stick with the list you made prior to the shopping mall. I always find doing this very difficult, the only solution I have so far for this is to add another extra cash to my prepared list cost. For instance, if my list should be costing $50, I would add extra $20 just in case I stumble onto something I couldn't resist.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why someone should overspend during Christmas, its a period of soul searching and sober reflection. If you have to treat yourself, you can eat traditional delicacies like deep fried arrowroots and yoghurt which is my favourite, you don't have to fall for the ubiquitous commercial hype to buy overpriced products. I also spend most of the day in our compound or indoors reducing expenditure.

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    The best thing worked for me that I just skipped the party. Lol. Just joking. I wasn't well so I have to skip it. Mostly I used to save money for such occasions so that I can spend money freely. But this time because of my health I have more saving, so I guess I will spend it somewhere else. Let's see.

20. BMT1014

BMT1014Member

Threads:
    I don't really know if I was used to it or maybe because of the culture I've been used to but most likely I love giving gifts during Christmas. From the month of September to December, I actually start to buy gifts especially if there are sales discount. Maybe buying in advance can save me more money because there are huge sales during the month of September and October.