Overspending During Christmas : How To Avoid This And Save Money

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Heatman • Dec 13, 2017.

1. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you on this, children are more important when planning for Christmas celebrations and festivals. If you have them not properly taken care of, one would presume that you don't take good care of them and that you are a bad and unaffectionate parent. It's nice making plans not to overspend during Christmas seasons, but the little ones must be taken care of.

2. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    One thing that we can use to cut the overspending on Christmas is to reuse some gifts, or make them ourselves, if we have the time. In the case of reusing, how many times I've received stuff I don't need and don't use? So, I just keep it, wrap it up nicely again, and next Christmas I offer to someone. :)

3. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with making my own gifts and saving myself the cost of buying a new one but I would have to disagree with you on reusing a gift someone gave me. I have a special attachment to anything called a gift given to me. I wouldn't give it out for any reason, even if I'm not making use of it. To me, it's an act of disrespect to the person who gave me the gift.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I know what you mean, it's ethically incorrect to give to others what we were give, but at the same time, if we haven't used it, and we are not planning on use it, why should we keep it? And if I am not keeping it, I might as well offer it to someone who I know is going to use it. It's my logic at least.

5. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    There is a good point in what you just mentioned but seriously I have strong attachment to anything called gift. In as much as I know I wouldn't be making use of it, I really cannot bring myself to giving it out to someone else. The only thing I can think of doing with it is allowing my immediate family members to make use of it. I believe that's more proper.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends from person to person really. My wife is pretty much like you, she gets attached to stuff for sentimental reasons, even if the item doesn't has an utilitarian value. It something that annoys me though haha, as we live in a small flat, and I want to get rid of the stuff we don't use.