Own Car Or Uber?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by ACEP • Oct 1, 2017.

1. ACEP

ACEPMember

Threads:
    Uber miles per year would rack up $427 in base fare fees, $14,823 in mileage fees and $2,863 in time fees. That've be $18,115 per year. Is it really cheaper to ride an uber that owning a car?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Obviously, it is cheaper to use your car when traveling especially if the parking is not a problem. By a practical calculation, you have saved on the service fee of the driver and of the rental of the car. On the other hand, buying a car is expensive and it entails maintenance costs. Maybe if you are living alone and using the car by yourself, we can say that it is more expensive than taking the Uber service. But if you have a family, having your own car is definitely cheaper and more practical.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Riding the bus is way cheaper...when we turn 65, so far, we can ride for 2 yrs. for just $30. Until then we pay $60 a month for a bus pass which is unlimited bus rides for the month. I always spend more than $60 for bus rides. It's not good when raining though for you got to walk in the rain. Once it was raining and wind blowing over 30MPH, I was waiting for the bus with others...my clothes were soaked to the skin! Now I got to go to Mililani Memorial Park and Mortuary where my Mother is buried, and there is no bus to it. The ride in off the main hwy. is longgggg. In the 1990's they found a body along the path to the Memorial Park...I am wondering if I should get a taxi to it or not? I don't like Uber for locally they had very bad reputation, so far. I wonder though how to get to the Memorial Park from the last bus stop, lol, so not having a car is very hard at times. I'll look into alternatives, if I can't get my cousin to take me to Mom's grave every once a month. That's life I guess.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does depend on your usage and how necessary using a car is. Don't forget Uber prices aren't set like a cab or private hire vehicle. If you do buy a compact second hand car it could work out cheaper if you use it a lot and maybe share rides with others and get some gas money contributions.

Overall I think public transport is better from a green outlook and also that you can get discounted tickets in some cases.

5. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on how often you have to get somewhere and how far it is. Both have their pros and cons, with a car there is more convenience. With an uber you really don't have to worry about paying it off as much as a car. I think if you live in a small enough town and don't have to go out too far daily then an uber is a better money saving alternative.

6. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather own a car than use the Uber service. A car might be expensive at the beginning but once you adjust in maintaining it, you will save a lot. Especially if the car will last for around 10 years. A car is a good investment.