Packaged Tour Versus Touring On Your Own

Discussion in Travel started by Corzhens • Mar 19, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we first went to Hongkong, we availed of the tour package that brought us to the usual spots in the city. On our second trip to Hongkong, we were advised to search for the places we desire and check with the MTR (that's the train). We were kind of nervous at first because it's difficult when majority of the public do not speak English. But we were able to succeed in going to Disneyland and the Big Buddha, 2 different places that would take a big expense when taken on a tour package.

Tomorrow we are leaving for Bangkok and we are availing of a tour package for selected places... courtesy of our friend who is a travel agent there.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I find that it is usually cheaper if you tour on your own. I like to tour on my own because I like to go at a slower pace and sometimes I get anxious and have panic attacks so I have to slow down. The idea of slowing down a whole group of people makes me even more nervous and it gets bad. But touring on my own gives me more freedom and I save!

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I also think that it's much cheaper to tour on your own rather than availing of trip packages. It also gives you the freedom to choose where you want to go and tour at your own pace as what @steph84@steph84 said. In order to do this though, one has to research well and in advance to be able to discover the best places to go to with the cheapest budget you could afford. Good luck on your Bangkok trip! Do update us about the best places to go to in Bangkok once you find the time. :)

4. NikkiR

NikkiRMember

Threads:
    I have done both and find them equally appealing depending on what you are in the mood for.

Traveling with a tour allows you to have someone knowledgeable about the city with you. I learned far more history an had the opportunity to go see many attractions that I had never heard about. I would recommend a tour if you are in a place with a very unfamiliar culture, or If you are a giant history nerd. You do need to do a lot of research and find a reputable company.

Traveling on your own allows you to travel at your own pace and pick exactly what sites you want to view. however you miss out on most of the cultural significance. It is also much more difficult to find a good place to eat.

As a middle ground, I would recommend finding a local resident who is willing to spend a day with you. If you know anyone from that region talk to them, or If you don't know anyone personally try a local language skill. There are often students willing to spend a day playing tour guide for the chance to spend time with an English speaker.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In a country that doesn't speak English I'd rather go with a tour package that includes most or all the places I want to go to. One tour package gave us a free day, so it was good for we could go to where we wanted that the tour didn't go to. I feel safer traveling with people than alone too. :)

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always travel on my own, but I will take a tour if it involves transport as it reduces the cost as traveling alone can cost more. It also depends on where the tour is going and how flexible it is. I have been on a couple and opted out of a few things that didn't suit me, or that I wanted to do other things instead. I don't like routines, but sometimes tours are necessary for places like Russia or you may get accused of being a spy.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always loved traveling solo. Adventure is what I sought. At that time I always saved some money for traveling and could plan my trip in such a way that I'd visit lots of places in the shortest time possible. I spent more than those who opted for guided tours.

Before choosing either [a guided tour or solo travel], you should calculate the costs . . .