Paid or free apps?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by orz • Jan 1, 2014.

1. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I've started to buy more and more apps and still always get the free ones, but am keen to hear from people who have paid for apps. I've heard the rumour that free apps are actually better for developers because they end up getting more $ from the advertisements than the mere .99c for a download. Still, I find that its worth just the hassle to get them free and that if you disable wifi half the time you won't get them, love to hear your thoughts!

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what kind of apps and how useful they are. If apps that help me to get the work done such as both for business and school, I would buy them but only to a certain amount. However, I mostly download free apps because I have an Android phone, which there are a lot of free apps that are both useful and good. I don't download too many apps, but I only get the ones that will help me on my everyday life.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer free apps. My phone is full of them. Who doesn't like free anyway? Of course, there are certain apps and games that I have downloaded for a certain price because they were unique and not like any other app available but they are just in the minority. Let me ask, is there anybody here in this forum who has more paid apps installed in their phone than free apps?

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer free apps as well, I'm OK with putting up with the ads or when games have an option cash-shop for purchasing some boosts or bonuses for the game.
    It's a strange thing how you can have a $500 phone and still complain when an app is over $3 :)

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Free apps are generally more ad infested. They also have those annoying reminders that constantly pops up but they are free so what can I say. If I can, I'll go for paid apps because they are mostly ad free and offer more features. Free apps are fine by me to if they have what I want.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I try to get free apps.

My budget and overall cheapness make me avoid paying for unnecessary stuff. A lot of the apps are services you can get with a little elbow grease. You don't need to pay for an app.

7. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I like paid and free apps. I get the free app first and try it out then if it's something I really like/love, I might go get the paid version. I do love how the Google play store has so many free apps to choose from.

8. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I develop apps and I mix my distribution methods, I have 50% Free demo (with no ads) and pay 99 cents to get the full game, and I also have completely free but with ads, as all my games are fairly modest, both methods tend to reel in more or less the same amount of money for each.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer free apps. It's much easier to just download and delete without having to consider the decision too much. With paid apps, you'd have to do tons of research before you spend your money, but with free apps, you can just check it out and see for yourself. I'd only ever pay for apps when there's absolutely no other worthy free alternatives, which fortunately, is rarely the case. When I get looser with my budget someday, maybe I could be more willing to experiment with paid apps, but as for now, I'd rather save my money for other things.

10. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    As I'm a gamer, I occasionally buy a game which I feel I'll play a lot, but I stick to the free ones mostly. I've probably spent about £40 on the store on games and apps, however I spend more time on PS4 so I don't really find the need to buy games often.

11. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    I have only paid for one app before and the quality of it was so much better than any free app I'd had before. Although, in the game you could pay more to get a premium version, but it didn't pressure you like free apps did.

12. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    To be honest I've never used paid apps but I was tempted few times to try them. I mean 0.99 $ is not much right?:) I might buy few apps this year because I enjoy working on my phone.

13. Cadence

CadenceMember

Threads:
    I've only paid for an app once and I think it will take a lot before I pay for another one. I don't think there's an app that I really need that much that I'm willing to pay for it. Sure, it's not a lot of money but since most apps are free I don't see why some of them aren't.. I think it's really hard to know if it's really worth the money or not before you have tried the app.

14. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy those apps which either have a specific use for me or takes to my liking. And whenever I try out a new app, I try to test out the free version for a few days in order to see whether the app is worth buying. And in most of the cases, I end up up using the free version of the app.