Paid Tv For Sports

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Gad • Jul 4, 2017.

1. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    most of the times, you find that sports like football, rugby, basketball and even tennis are only shown in pay to view channels. I normally use a free to air tv and so I do not have to pay for channels monthly. It is way too expensive. What I do on match days is that I go to nearby bars. Watching a game is usually charged 0.5 dollars. I like it that way since it saves me a lot of money and at the same time, I get to enjoy matches with friends.

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree that the current move by some media to have you subscribe to events that were one free to view is really posing a problem for many sports enthusiasts. In my country, there is an entity that has bought the rights to broadcast and they are now charging subscription fees to view many of the sporting events that were previously free to watch. I have to be foregoing the watching of some of the events because I am not prepared to pay the additional cable fees to be able to see these events because it's too expensive.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Right, I agree with the OP that games watched alone can often be boring. Nonetheless, though, a person might want to bring friends to his house to watch the game. Nonetheless, a question which comes up is, "How many games does one want to watch at home?". If the answer isn't many, then obviously a bar would be a better spot, even assuming you can afford extra cable channels.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think with a digital antenna you can get a lots of the games for free like NBC,ABC and Fox as well-and you can probably find free sites that stream cricket or soccer and other sports as well. I would like to watch some cricket matches on TV and I am in the states so we do not get much cricket here-but we do get a bit of soccer even on the digital channels here-but I have grown more interested in cricket lately for a number of reasons though.

5. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    I always find it unnecessary to pay for tv, while I actually watch it for less than 3 hours a day, but since my favourite channels, National Geographic and Discovery channel, are premium, then am left without a choice. Therefore I still get my sports channels in the process.

However for someone who's interest is in sports, then I believe what you do is the way to go, if it's just for fun. But some clubs require that you buy a drink, for you to watch the sports from their premises. I believe we are all familiar with the sticker that says, "If you have nothing to do, don't do it here." Don't you think that causes extra costs?

It's also good to remember that there are also those who make a good fortune out of live betting, who find it more convenient to pay for tv.

6. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I think without even going "pay-per-view" or cable subscription business, sports channel can still earn more than enough to sustain their business since T.V. ads are paying large sums of money. It's really hard to know which of the two contributed to the emergence of the system. Whether the company wants to earn more by going pay-per-view or the fans getting tired of so many advertisements in their favorite show. It can even be mutual.

7. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought of this particular plan Honestly, I have spent so much money on subscriptions every month just to stay updated on sports news, and importantly, watch football matches every weekend and midweeks during the UEFA champions league.

It has gotten to a point where I was unable to subscribe for the past two months running and the customer care of the decoder I use being calling me on phone to please subscribe. But as you rightly pointed out, this new plan will be okay for me where I watch the free-to-air channels and pay at viewing centres where I can watch the matches I am interested in while I leave the others

Thank you for this idea!

8. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea to save money while watching the sports from a nearby bar. I never thought of this ever. I have subscriptions to all my favorite sports channel. I would take this advice seriously. Thanks for sharing. :)

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever Manny Pacquiao has a fight, expect the people in our country to avail of the pay-per-view which is pretty expensive at $20 just to see the fight live without commercials. On August 27 of this year, the Mayweather-McGregor fight also has a pay-per-view with the same amount. Since those fights will be shown in the sports cable channel on a delayed basis, what I do is to shut off everything and just wait for the showing. And why shut off the phone and the computer? There are spoilers who would avail of the pay-per-view and then text or post in social media the result. That is what I call a spoiler which can be prevented by shutting off the phone and not going to the internet until the delayed telecast of the fight is shown.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    We used to subscribe to a TV program which is really quite costly and we did enjoy the sports channels always, as the free TV channels usually do not show those interesting sports events live. We terminated the paid TV program a few years ago and it really saves us a lot of money monthly.