Painting A Mural

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Mar 2, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always thought it would be cool to paint a mural. I don't think it would be that hard, if I had a projector.

I don't have one. Recently, I saw a blurb (on Pinterest maybe or Buzzfeed) about making your own projector, and all it takes is a box with holes cut in it and a lamp behind it. It looked so simple that I was left asking, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Have you ever tried making your own projector? It would be a great way to save money. Then, you could paint your own wall mural and save even more money.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of doing a project like making your own mural. I have read newspaper articles where an artist was commissioned to paint a mural around town. Here is one painted in my little home town of Kalihi.
    IMG_3208.
    image from

Hilton Alves painted the mural the gentleman in the picture is Hilton Alves.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I feel like painting one with a projector would be a problem because you will have to stand in front of the image and it would be hard to trace. I like those decals you can get on Amazon that take up the whole wall. They seem easier to do than painting mural.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true. I imagine decals would be much simpler, but this way would save a ton of money. I've made large images using a projector before (work stuff, not a mural for home), and I really didn't find it that difficult.

It really depends on how detailed the image is, and how much patience you have, ha ha. I probably wouldn't try something super intricate, but simple designs aren't bad. A cute animal for a kids room, etc.

I thought the idea of making your own projector was kind of cool too. So simple, yet effective.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've painted murals of sorts before but personally I didn't use a projector. I actually just made cardboard cut outs of the shapes the right sizes and used a smaller picture to work from. You can draw a grid over a photograph so you have smaller boxes to work with, then scale up the grid and draw it on the wall (lightly, though! You want to be able to remove it after) and then you can paint each little box at a time from the original. It worked for me anyway!

I do like the idea of making a projector for some other projects though so thanks for suggestin ther as a way to do it!

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    You do not necessarily have to have a projector in order to make a mural. I use to paint murals in highschool for plays that we used to do and it is easy enough to do without a projector. All you need to do is draw the mural out on grid paper and then draw it to scale on the wall you would like to paint it on. As long as you get your scales drawn correctly, your mural will turn out great.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember the grid tactic from high school art classes. It's a good idea, and it does work. Personally, I just find the projector idea to be simpler, yet I'd rather make a free projection device with repurposed stuff than go out and buy one.

It's nice to have options, so thanks for sharing these ideas.

I think murals are really cool, especially in kids rooms. If you can save money while doing it, whichever option you choose, that's a win in my book. Creating a custom design at a fraction of the cost? What's not to like?

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I've heard of painting with the use of a projector. It's just like the grade school years when we draw by tracing. I think that is a good idea.

We have a family friend who is a good artist. He had offered to do a mural painting on our fence at the side of our property. But since it will entail costs and even if the offer of service is free, there is no such thing as free lunch. Besides, that fence on the side is not conspicuous.