Painting The Wood In Your Home

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Alexandoy • Jun 3, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you need several coatings of paint for the wood in your house, you have to buy the flat and the glossy. Unlike the concrete where you can use the same paint for all the coatings, the wood absorbs much paint so you will be spending a lot if you would be using glossy paint all the way. The best is to use flat paint for the first coating and then apply the glossy for the second or third coating on the following day. That would lessen the cost of the paint.

2. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this useful tip. I guess this will help to save quite a lot, as the paint is actually quite expensive. I have not painted any woods before, but only the wall and gate in my front yard. I will keep this in mind, so if I really need to do paint our doll, I know what to do.

3. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes,wood can be quite porous and have some rough edges so you could give it a light sanding of the wood as well before you prime it with the flat paint, and then you could use a couple of coats also before you paint with the glossy paint. The glossy paint coats do not hold paint well anyways,so you need to use a flat or primer for better adhesion.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    You can even skip using paint by applying a generous coat of used engine oil which is well absorbed by the wood and its quite cheap and does not chip over time like other paints. In case you decide to use paint, you can even manufacture your own using a simple formula: mix soup milk with slaked lime and you are good to go.