Paintings or Photographs?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chiofthenorns • Sep 13, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If I have the opportunity to have more paintings, I would prefer to have those over photographs. Knowing that each piece was made by hand, makes it even more special, most particularly if the artwork were made by close friends and family members. A large 6' x 6' abstract oil painting hangs on our dining room wall. In my study room, another small piece of acrylic on canvas artwork hangs there as a gift from a family friend.

I do have photographs displayed in our family room and bedroom. These are for our own enjoyment; for nostalgia and not as a decorative element.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like canvas transfers of nature photos. They have the detail of a photo but are ready to hang like a painting.
    I get most of my canvas wall art at Walmart, IKEA and Kmart.

3. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I like both. They each have their qualities. Sometimes the real life photo is so awesome and seeing the actual beauty of something is nice. Then, it is always so amazing to see paintings that capture a scene or a person so distinctively. I really like to have a photo and a twin picture. I think that is cool.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's what I've noticed when thrift shopping. Old paintings can look dated and cheesy, especially paintings from the 1970's with all the funky browns and yellows. But old photos always look cool and modern. All of the famous Ansel Adams nature photos are decades old and they look like they were recently taken. Nature photos have a timeless quality because a tree in 1974 looked the same as a tree in 2007. Meanwhile you can tell what decade a painting is from because
    many 80s paintings were aqua and pink abstracts or Nagel prints.
    So if you don't want your wall art to look vintage or outdated in a few years, you can't go wrong with photos.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would personally prefer photographs, which is something we've done before. But I wouldn't be averse to a mix of paintings and framed photos. But at the end of the day, it's really down to the individual and their preferences. I'd say just go with your heart and have fun with it.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both, I like to see my family on the walls but I also like to see color on my walls in paintings, large paintings. Most of my photos are on tables or cabinet tops like a buffet dresser.

7. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I prefer photographs. First off, I like having the actual image itself, rather than an artist's interpretation of a specific view/person/object. Some paintings definitely are better than some photographs though - it mainly depends on what the photo or painting is of. But, if you gave me the same image, one in painting form and one in photograph form, I'd definitely chose the photograph. Photographs are generally a little cheaper as well, so I'd definitely pick photographs over paintings.

8. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I would go with framed photographs because in my opinion, the wall paintings are kinda out of fashion in my opinion. Paintings always got whack designs and some really dimming the mood of the house which I don't like.

Photographs are just more crisp and clear for my liking and I especially like taking photos myself so sometimes I'll pay a bit of money to frame my own (only if they actually look like a pro took it :p). But I'm definitely a photography person because I enjoy photography myself and having professional pictures framed on my wall is a lot better then gloomy paintings in my opinion.

9. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    For decorating, I think I prefer paintings over photographs. I do dabble into both photography and painting with mixed media so there's that. I don't know, it really just depends on what the subject is. I tend to get pretty bored of decoration often so I'd be constantly rotating stuff around.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I liked framed photographs but when I get my own place, I am going for the more modern art gallery feel/homely feel. So whilst I may have a few family photographs sprinkled throughout my place here and there, I will be much more inclined to hang up art on the walls as a means of decoration.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love photographs. I find there's always a story behind each one, my husband is a great photographer so we use a lot of the photos he takes of the kids and our travels. We spent the money on a good camera and are pleased with the quality of the photos.