Paper Bags

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • Mar 14, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that paper bags are something pretty common in the US, but they are something relatively new here in my country. I was used to the convenience of using plastic bags and now with the paper bags everything seems harder to carry... How do you carry your shopping in paper bags?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tell me about it! Plastic bags were phased out a couple of years ago in many cities in my country to help with preserving nature, but it made it hard to carry heavy items like soda because they had no handle! So now I just bring a cloth shopping bag when I go out to shop for many and heavy things.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    We have paper bags with handles here in the US in only a certain stores though! Recycling bags are being sold in the store also if you need something that works for you! We have many cloth/recycling bags in the house, so I don't have to worry about carrying them home. Look into cloth bags, they are very affordable!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We recently made the move onto paper bags here in my area as well. Although not all stores have given up on plastic bags completely, majority have started to use paper bags not only for fast food takeouts but for groceries as well. Also, styrofoam containers have since been used less and less and that's the part I like the most since I've always preferred to eat and drink out of paper containers.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I really like paper bags. You can use them for so much and I don't feel like it harms the environment as much. I have often used them for postal packaging as well. I carry them under the arm though with my hand at the bottom because they do tend to drop out. If you can find the ones with handles then you can carry more like with the plastic bags. Also, plastic bags don't get weak with dampness. We often carry a back pack because we walk and this cuts down on our need for bags.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know when it has happened that people have forgotten that they can bring along their own shopping bags when they go shopping. It seems to somehow have slipped from their minds. You don't have to put up with weak paper bags, you can simply bring along your canvas bag, recycled plastic bag, or even a cardboard box. :)

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I always have an eco-bag (non-woven material) in my bag - wherever I go. So even if my groceries were placed in a paper bag, I would still put it in my eco-bag for convenience. Yes, a paper bag full of stuff is really hard to carry around. :)

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    My wife does that too, she carries the bags with her, but until now I refuse to be a plastic bag carrier so I still buy them even if they are more expensive. They could make better paper bags though, why do they need to be so fragile?

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Most people in my town now bring their own bags. We have to pay for paper bags and plastic bags are not permitted. It's kind of annoying actually. I almost always have my reusable bag with me, but it would still be nice to get a plastic bag now and then. There are still produce bags, but they only fit in small waste baskets.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which are you referring to, plastic or paper bags? Paper bags are thin and can't carry bottles of soda which I always buy when I'm at the supermarket, so I must carry a sturdier bag. Some paper bags are thick and have handles, but still, I think the pasted bottom might break when I place 2 bottles of soda in there.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    She carries plastic bags in her purse. Well, women's purses or bags seem to be magical because everything fits in there, but I simply don't have where to carry them so that is not an option for me.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, don't you have a man-purse or what they call a satchel or body bag or messenger bag? Look at this one, you might like it:

I also carry a plastic bag too in case the items do not fit, but I just miss the times where everything was given in plastic bags. It was so much convenient.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well, actually I carry something similar to that, you got me there lol, but at the same time I refuse to carry plastic bags, I think it's ridiculous that everyone has to carry them. Maybe I am still stuck in the past and my mentality has to change I admit it.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We still have both the plastic and the paper bags in some of the stores. I have a bag I carry in my purse that I can fold up and use over and over and wash it when it gets dirty. I like to recycle as much as I can with the platic bags I give them to food bank when I pass by the building.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    We have the same situation Pat, plastic and paper bags, but we need to pay for both. Usually the plastic bags are way more expensive than the paper ones, but if the whole goal here was to be ecologic I do wonder why are the plastic bags so thick.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was thinking that when I read the original post. If OP doesn't like the paper bags, they can easily bring their own bag to the store.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Botswana, we've not quite migrated over to paper bags. I like that you now have to buy your plastic bags, that way people are at least more conscious of how many they use. I know paper bags are a lot more eco-friendly than plastic bags, but i'm not sure I'd manage with those if I did a huge shop? We use the cloth eco-bags instead. We have so many in our cupboards, so we rely on them more than plastic bags.