Paper Or Plastic?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by kana_marie • Mar 26, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    When you go shopping how conscientious are you when regarding buying green products? Are you only concerned about certain products being green? Or do you go out of your way to buy as many green products as possible?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very conscious about buying green. In fact, I am so conscious, that I have almost completely given up shopping in supermarkets. Most of my groceries these days are purchased at the farmer's market, where I don't just get fresh, organic fruit and vegetables, but also bulk foods, such as organic grains and legumes, nuts, and so much more.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really boils down to cost and if it's not too much more , if I can buy green then I will, but if i can't then I'm not going to spend time looking for it. I used to use green tissues and toilet roll, but it was never that pleasant. I did find one toilet roll that was green and okay, but I need to look at cost and effectiveness. I find green limescale remover less effective, so it's not cost effective if I have to use twice as much and not green.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not in a position to go totally green, and as we all know; the greener you go, the more expensive it gets. Like Theo, I really go off price because that's all I can afford.

5. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Not to mention at farmers markets you are supporting local farmers instead of some faceless, corporate billionaire!

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to think of myself as planet conscious? But I am guilty of not taking care of what I buy and things like that. I wish I was more cognizant of it, but I only buy what my money can afford, and to where it can stretch lol. If I had the money, I'd be a lot more conscientious of what I was buying but beggars can't be choosers.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as consumables are concerned, I always see to it that I buy products with easy-to-dispose containers. Food products, in particular, would be a bit of a problem if they're all wrapped up in plastic. Although I'd prefer brown bags, it's not practical to wrap meat, fish and other wet goods with paper. Plastic prevents moisture from seeping out so I can make an exception every now and then.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying green has not entered my mind at all, and I just buy what I can afford. I don't use plastic anymore "against my will" because plastics have already been phased out now and was replaced with paper bags, so that's the most "green thing" that I have done so far.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use cloth bags from home to carry all my purchases and my food is pretty much all packaging free.. I don't find too many products to actually be green.. just less of a foot print I suppose.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I use a side bag to carry most of the things I get at the grocers. It's rare to find a lot of grocery chains that use paper bags. I see plastic all the time. Other than Aldi which encourages you to use their boxes as opposed to paying for the bags they have available. Including paper.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try to go for it whenever it is available but I wouldn't say I'd go out of my way just to get to greener products or stores. I separate my trash at home for easier recycling an I bring reusable bags whenever I can but at the same time I also still frequent restaurants and stores that use plastic bags because they are convenient.