Paper/plastic Plates, Cups, Spoons, And Forks - Money-saver Or Not?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jason76 • Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Not really sure, but I'm guessing no. Also, I'm assuming the disposable stuff is bad for the environment, especially the plastic Anyway, the cost thing mainly depends on the price of soap and water. However, I'd say for a party, it might be a good idea to use disposable stuff - in some instances, but then again, you might be throwing money away for convenience.

2. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Plastic crockery and cutlery are always cheaper and money saving as compared to other materials for instance ceramic ones. Though there is a possibility of the damped plastic to pollute the environment, they can be recycled to produce new products. They can also be burnt in a secluded place./ However, plastics can pose serious health effects, especially when someone takes hot food from them. Some plastics may contain melamine, a substance that can cause kidney stones.

3. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    This depends on the situation. If you're going to use plates only at your home for eating then I would go for reusable plates. Because we can only buy them once and we will never have to replace them ever again. (unless it breaks). If you're going to use them for an occassion like a party, I would go for disposable plates because it can save a lot of money, it is more convenient and lastly it can save a lot of water.

4. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Purchasing plastic made utensils helps to save on money and maintenance costs but they are not good for use in the long run. It is better to invest in glasses. Some plastics are made with substances that are not good for the health. It is also not good to put hot food or hot water in plastic utensils. This can be avoided by starting to invest in utensils made of melanin or glass.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Disponibles may be good for parties or family gatherings but to use on a daily basis I think it would be more costly than the soap and water used. It is better to have platea and utensles one can reuse as buying disposibles can be expensive in the long run as one can use up a package up in less than a week especially for a big family.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we have many guests at home, it is more economical to use the plastic fork and spoon. I always announce that we will be eating picnic style with the paper plate and the disposable plastic fork and spoons. Don’t laugh be we keep the plastic fork and spoons that come when we order food for delivery. And that’s what we use instead of buying a pack. Those fork and spoons from the fastfood will at least be of use.

7. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly think that plastic forks, spoons and plates is the way to go if you plan to save money. They are reusable if you are careful enough and are really, really in a money tight situation. You can easily wash them again like you would the alternatives if it comes to it.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Saving money on paper plates and utensils can happen when you shop sales for them. Walmart has in their party section, on Oahu by their cards, .97 paper plates for 20 ct. that are 9". They got utensils too and napkins that are very good price. Some parties or gatherings calls for paper plates & plastic utensils only, so we got choices for prices to save money. Now days they have waste to fuel so you don't have to feel too bad about buying paper plates etc. This walmart.com site at the bottom of the page has the .97 paper plates.

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I think topic opener
    I think topic opener is talking about the disposable ones being used on parties. In other words it won't save money. Those things are only used for parties.

Non disposable ones saves more money because you won't buy them everyday and you will only spend money on detergent.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Disposable plates and stuff will not save you money if you use them on a daily basis. However, they are more convenient to use during parties, specially for children's parties where glassware is not advisable. We also prefer to use disposables for overnight outings as it can be a hassle to wash plates every time we eat which is quite often. To cut party costs on disposables, we buy them in bulk directly from the manufacturer and save about 30% off the retail cost. For daily use, however, it's more practical to use ceramic or melamine plates or silverware for utensils.