Parking in busy downtown areas of cities.

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 15, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely drive into the downtown core of my city. If I am there, it is usually because I am passing through on my way to somewhere else. On the occasions that I do need to go into our downtown area, I usually take public transit as it is cheaper and ofter less hassle. Parking can run upwards of $10 per hour and curbside parking is at a premium and often is only 15-30 minute parking. I hear of people paying as much for the luxury of a parking space downtown as it would be to rent a small apartment.

How is the parking situation in your city? Can you still go downtown for a reasonable price? Is there enough parking available?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm near Philly currently, so no, parking downtown wouldn't be cheap at all. If you stay out in the suburbs, though, and park near a train station, it's sooo much cheaper.

So that's what we usually do. We drive as close to the city as we can, park, and then pay for a train or bus into the city itself. This is especially helpful for weekend trips where paying for the parking the whole time would be ridiculous. The last hotel I was at said it'd cost us $50 a day to park in their parking lot!! No thanks.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Parking would definitely be a business to go into if you happened to have downtown real estate. Another place where it seems like private parking would do well is around college campuses.

Her method sounds like the best way. I wouldn't bother with paying a lot to park downtown, but I believe that some people will, hence why I think it would be a good business. Also, I know for sure that in most less urban areas people always use a car to go to college or university.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Metro Manila is a crowded place and parking is a usual problem that's why as much as possible, I do not drive when I go to the city. However, the public transport is so difficult - buses are full and taxicabs is a rarity. Last week when we went to the airport, we spent an hour in finding a taxicab but we were not fortunate. So as not to be late for our flight, we used the car and fortunately found a parking area right there in the airport. Although the parking fee costs an arm and a leg (900 pesos or about $20), we had no other choice but that. Next month, we have a trip to Japan and we would probably park our car in that airport car park again just to avoid the stress related to finding a taxicab.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    At my present location parking isn't getting charged but it is a terrible hassle because of vehicle overcrowding.

In other locations nearby it is definitely a put off and many prefer public transport for the same. Now that, airport parkings have been made free it is a big relief otherwise it was a real money minter.