Paying for ebooks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Strykstar • Sep 12, 2014.

1. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:

Did you not read the OP, that is what I answered, not you nor any response you've ever written.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind paying for books if they are fairly priced or if it's really something I am seeking. Although I usually just wait until they slash the full retail price because I could just read something cheaper in the meantime as I'm never really that excited to read a new book and don't mind waiting for it to get cheaper. Like I said, though, there are a few exceptions that I tend to get at full price just because I like them enough that I can't wait for a price drop.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel that buying e-books is a good deal because most of the times they are really cheap. On the other hand the convenience of having a physical book many times it's also worth the price, so I guess it depends on each one's preferences.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I won't pay as much as possible for any digital files. I always exhaust all the ways to get them for free, be it torrenting or copying the file from someones else's hard disk. If there's no way left to do so, I am left with no choice, but to pay for them myself, but only if I need them extremely. I do it in every possible aspect in life. If I could get something for free in a descent way, I that way. Another big consideration I always bear in mind is the effort and the time it consumes to get without paying.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get most of my eBooks free, some are ones that I just borrow and read, and others are one that the author is giving away free. I belong to Bookbub, and they send me an email each day with a list of free and cheap books that I might be interested in. I also look on Amazon at the Kindle store, and they have a lot of free books there.
    With Amazon Prime, one of their newest features is called "Prime Reading", and this is a whole library of books that you can check out , read, and then return, just like you can do with the online libraries.
    Between all of these methods, it seems like I am always finding lots of good books to read, and most are free unless it is a specific book that I want to purchase.

6. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    @troutski@troutski If the legally free ebooks meet all you ebook needs, no problem. But I am pretty picky and only read certain authors. So I buy their ebooks. Most of the time I don't want to comb through a lot of crap in the hope if finding something good. My time is my most precious asset.

The main expense when it comes to books is not the paper, it is the author's time and talent. I do not hesitate to pay for a reliably enjoyable reading experience regardless of the format.

#26Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Books are sources of information for lecture, for references of students and professional as well. Bookstores come to being to supply those things to those in need but not all bookstores have all the references and the books needed in schools and in colleges. In my case, I have to find means to get a copy of our textbooks while I am studying college. I have to order them directly to the publishers or publication source.

Now eBooks facility has surfaced with the purpose of easy accessibility especially online. Its beginning to convert major references from literature to science and to everything. And there are eBook source which is offering it for free and there are also for a pay.

One of them which I have subscribed is

. I have never purchased any book or reading materials. I just read them. There are lots of things to read for entertainment, for education, for livelihood, etc.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading. I prefer physical books anytime as they don't strain my eyes from the light. I have never paid for an ebook although I have free copies downloaded and borrowed from friends. We share, it's cheaper that way.

I buy physical books as per my need and I get good deals from local resellers.