Paying more for the ability to upgrade?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 16, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to buying a computer, everyone has specific uses in mind. Some of us are more hands-on when if comes to technology and are able to modify out computers. Adding a hard drive, adding more memory, a new video card are all ways we can breathe new life into our machines. Doing a little research allows one to find a motherboard that can handle more that it is doing at the time of purchase. Even things like a forward thinking operating system can save money in the long run. The latest newest tech is only new for a short while and can become old really rapidly.

When it comes to buying a computer new, do you prefer to spend a few extra dollars in order to be able to keep it fresh for a longer period of time?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a matter of cost that much. Of course an expensive computer will be more future proof but if you get the right motherboard you can continue to upgrade your computer for a long time. I've had the same case for about 7 or 8 years but I've only had to get a new motherboard once because its CPU socket wasn't compatible with newer CPUs and it supported DDR2 RAM instead of DDR3. Even with the upgrades though, I don't use programs that make great use of them. I don't think new tech becomes old that fast unless you need to be using the latest hardware for something.

3. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    If you are talking about paying more upfront so you CAN upgrade, than I would never do it. All computers should have the possibility to switch key components and if they don't allow that, than I'm not going to buy that brand.

4. SireStryder

SireStryderNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with a post above that a motherboard is a good product to spend more on in order to upgrade parts later. Another reason to spend more on a motherboard is that its one of the parts that can be a hassle to replace if you wanted to upgrade later. Its almost like rebuilding your computer for a second time. I am not 100% sure about this but if you upgrade a motherboard later you might have to re install windows 7 and i do not think you can reuse your serial key. Another part that I will pay more for is the power supply since its something that if it fails can be disastrous for your system.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    The good thing with the computer technology, is that you can stay with one technology for a long time. It really depends on what you prefer. If you are that person who likes to have more memory then you will have to buy a computer that upgrading is really easy. It will be hard to upgrade a computer that has less expansion slots.

6. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to say that before buying a new computer, you should first clearly determine your requirements. This is due to the reason that it is no use buying a machine which has all the latest specifications and components, if you are only going to edit documents and browse the internet on it. In my opinion, this would be a huge waste of money, as latest components quite a lot more then their older counterparts. The only recommendation I would make is having a good motherboard, as it is the heart of your computer and it would also allow you to upgrade components later on if the need arises.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I do, I mean, its either you spend more now, or spend more later. In the long run it will save you a few extra bucks. And also, having the ability to upgrade and tinker with your hardware is very convenient, saves you time and money, if you know a thing or two about comuters you won't have to go to repair shops or call customer service. And having the ability to replace and choose the parts gives you that flexibility and feel of control as supposed to having someone else do the job for you.