Paying to call support?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Peninha • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Few things annoy me less than to call my phone/net/tv provider (called NOS) and having to pay for that call. I mean, I have a package with unlimited calls on my phone, but to call my own support I need to pay? Does this make any sort of sense? I have made several complaints, but with no success...

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That doesn't make sense to me. You shouldn't need to pay in order to get support for your phone, internet, etc.

The only time I can see paying for support is when you're having a computer issue and you're out of warranty. At that point, I know they sometimes charge for support over the phone, but that's no different than taking your computer into a shop and paying to have it worked on.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    More and more companies have stared moving toward charging a fee for contacting support, but this mostly applies to shady companies that offer prepaid debit and credit cards and some lower-end telecommunications companies. It's nothing new, and it's always better to take your business elsewhere to avoid getting gouged for things that shouldn't cost a penny.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In some countries, most companies have toll-free numbers and paid numbers which you can call for support. For the toll-free numbers, after you call, you'd have to wait for ages at times before you talk to a customer service rep. For the paid call, you'll get instant help. I don't know if they have numerous "freelance" agents to whom calls can be transferred. Depending on the urgency of your problem, you'll either choose to pay or call free and have to wait hours before you can talk to someone who'll help you.

5. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. I hate it when they do that. It doesn't make any sense and it's clear that they're just trying to juice out as much money from their customers. It's like it's not enough that you're paying for their crappy overpriced services and they really wanted to milk every penny out of your pocket it makes me sick. I would understand if the call is for some serious tech support that it would take hours of talk to begin with but now, even the very simple act of just you asking for your bills should be charged by the minute.

But I think in some countries they actually have it for free but the only problem is that since it's free you have to wait and most of the time you'd get a robot speaking to you and telling you to press these numbers before you can talk to an actual live person.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That's why I try and trouble shoot certain things myself. I am not a techy person, and dealing with computer stuff for instance can drive me crazy but I'll Google certain things to see what people people on forums did for the same problem I may be having and that has been really helpful.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is exactly how I feel, it's revolting to be paying these guys for the service and when the service is poor and I need to call them I have to pay?! I hate them for this and I only stay with them because their prices are better, but this policy from them is nonsense.

8. khadija

khadijaNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. I don't think you should have to pay to speak with someone. Nor should you have to pay extra to make a payment with a live representative. This to me is waisting money. I don't understand how some companies can say they are giving excellent customer service but they want you to pay for them to help you.

9. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I never thought this was actually a thing. I always associate a customer service line with a 1-800 number. Sometimes it is a lot more convenient to find support online through a customer chat client. I was able to fix a problem when I had a software issue this way not so long ago. Usually, when I do contact customer support, I end up talking to a service rep with a heavy foreign accent which only makes things a little more complicated. I only now of a couple of companies who have excellent customer service.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If a company charges you to call support then you should run away from them as fast as possible! It's kinda like stealing already your hard-earned money when it's supposed to be free. Over here the most that you would need is sufficient credit balance, because if it's not enough to call other numbers, then you won't be able to call the hotline.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    That would make me very unhappy. If youre a paying customer you should get support. Making customers pay per call makes it seem like theyre trying to deter or penalize you for asking questions.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly, I hate them for them because I've been with them for quite a few years and this is the pay I get, I need to pay for support calls, I am not informed of that, they rise the prices for these calls and tell me I need to dig up the new price in their site, it's really revolting.

13. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    It does not make any sense to have to pay to get support for any product not service. I personally would not pay for it. If the companies start charging then I will switch companies because it is their job to help if something goes wrong with their product and service.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that is my first impulse, but on the other hand I am relatively happy with the price and service, so this is just something very annoying, but doesn't lead me to leave immediately. It seems that they don't want us to call though, is this even legal?!

15. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that makes no sense to me. If I were you I would drop whatever company you are with immediately. There's no reason to have to pay for support of any kind. What company are you with? I'm surprised they are still in business with such a goofy way of doing things.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mobile/cell phones are annoying like that. You always have to pay for things pertaining to it, almost like they are looking to squeeze every last penny out of you, even when something isn't working properly because of them, and not you. I rarely have to call support, but for the internet. Our internet goes out often, and so I have to call them up. I am not sure whether we have to pay or not, but I assume that we do.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We need to be very careful with the plan we choose, sometimes we get "unlimited" plans, but they are unlimited except certain numbers... As a rule, the older the plan is, the better because they are always inventing new ways to take our money.

18. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    That is very ridiculous. You're already giving money to this company for a service, so there is not reason why the full package shouldn't be included. Customer service should be free. Do you think you can use a different provider? This company seems very sketchy to me. Honestly, I've never heard of this. Truly sorry that this is happening to you.

19. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    These companies should be reported for this. Paying for phone support ? Even with a tech issue I had where the person had to stay on the line for me for over an hour, there was no charge. This distinguishes a legit company from one that is not making any profit and barely keeping their head above water. Desperate way to make some income.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the big deal, basically we have two providers only in my country and the conditions they offer are pretty much similar, so I would not be surprised if the other guys did the same. But ridiculous is the right word yes, they have no notion what service is.