Paying With Cash Or A Credit Card?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by dyanmarie25 • Feb 25, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Which do you prefer: paying with cash or a credit card? As for me, I prefer paying with cash. I always bring "not-so-huge-amount" of money with me whenever I shop, so that I'll only be able to buy the things that I need and would not be able to splurge on other stuffs. Personally, I think credit cards should only be used for emergency only.

What about you? I would love to hear your opinions.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In most of my transactions, I prefer to use cash. I already had my credit card closed. I felt like keeping it would ruin my self-control and prevent me from becoming financially free faster than I would have hoped. The rich guys would always tell you to get rid of your credit card, anyway. That's not a mark of someone who owns his finances. I use debit whenever I'm tempted to buy something but don't have enough cash in my wallet.

3. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I use cash a lot of the time, though with big transactions I prefer credit cards. As long as I pay it off every month it's not a problem. It's a way of picking up loyalty points as well, which I can use to redeem for a lot of things.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer cash and sometimes if I don't have enough cash around, I use debit. I had a bad experienced with credit cards that I decided to close them so as not to complicate things. Now, I only get to spend on things I can afford. No more worries about credit card bills at the end of every month.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know. Sometimes it is simply less messy to purchase items with your credit card. I mean, all you have to do is put your card in the machine, tap in your pin, and wala, you have purchased an item. I do think that it is a good idea to carry cash at the same time though. If you have an overdraft or something like that, it's better to pay cash rather than risk going over your over draft with excessive spending on the credit card.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of self control, and whenever I buy something on my credit card, I never do so unless I know for sure that I have the cash to pay for it. I pay everything off straight away. The reason that I use my credit card is because of the fact that I get loyalty points for using it, and these build up quite quickly. I can exchange them every three months and I always purchase four cinema tickets and enough meal vouchers for four meals out, meaning that it pays for two nights out each month, effectively for free. It would cost a lot of money to pay for what I get for free, so this is something that I cannot see myself giving up, really.

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I only use cash for whatever I buy, and sometimes, debit card which I knew already if I have the money in my account already. I don't have any national credit cards for many years now, and only have Walmart and Meijer store cards, but I leave them home too. It is too easily to charge on to them. I also asked for my credit availability allowance to only $500 max. This has kept me in line and worked perfectly for me at Christmas time!

8. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I usually only keep a little bit of cash on me for emergencies, (under $50) and I mostly pay with a debit card. Currently I don't have any credit cards. At first I was unsure if I would miss the cash rewards from my credit card, but honestly I don't. It is nice to have one less thing to keep track of.

9. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I usually pays cash when shopping in malls and buying groceries. I only use credit card in online shopping as well as other online transaction like purchasing gems for my games, pay my bills online and purchase some limited edition books and manga.

10. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Cash is good if you want to save on things, but I usually don't like it when I bring a lot of cash with me. I have a credit card but with credit cards you tend to spend a little more than you are actually planning on spending. Several months ago I found a the solution and got myself a debit card. It's like a credit card, only it doesn't let you go into debt. You only have as much money as what you put in your debit account in the first place. It's like a prepaid credit card.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a credit card, only a debit card, so I only use cash for all my offline purchases. When I shop online I just use Paypal if it's accepted or depending on the preferred payment method of the seller.

12. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal's a good alternative to debit cards as well, seeing as you need a balance to pay for anything with it. You can also maybe earn some money doing online jobs and put your earnings on paypal so you don't actually have to handle physical cash.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We've got rid of our credit cards, but in all honesty; I prefer to use a credit card for online purchases because you're better protected. Other than that, for all other purchases, I prefer to use cash. Unless it's a huge item that costs a lot.