Paypal Debit Card

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Happyflowerlady • Feb 2, 2015.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the things that I really haave enjoyed about Paypal is having the debit card. When you do online work, you are often paid through Paypal, but then the money is stuck in there unless you spend it on eBay, or one of the places that takes Paypal. The other option is to transfer the money to a banking account; but that takes several days to do.
    Happily, Paypal has both a debit card and a credit card. I have the debit card, and I can use that just about anywhere that you can use any other credit/debit cards, or cash.
    Not only that, but you get rewards for using the Paypal card. Not a lot, but still, that is an additional feature.
    It is not hard to get one, you just go to your paypal account and apply for the debit card, and within about a week it will come in the mail, and you can start using your paypal cash for anything.

2. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I just learned about this too, and I was so excited. I signed up right away, and my card came very quickly. I love having the extra flexibility, since it's a MasterCard. I think this was a great move on PayPal's part, and will really start winning over any holdouts. It's so nice to know that the money I earn online is instantly available to me everywhere that accepts MC!

#2Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I also love the Paypal debit card. As you pointed out its great to have when doing online work because Paypal is one of the most used payment sources. Because the debit card is a mastercard you can take it to most if not all ATM's to get money from it that you have earned in Paypal.

Another great thing about it, you can use the Paypal debit card on most online shopping websites such as Amazon where Paypal isn't accepted. But because the debit card resembles any credit card it will be accepted there.

4. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I wish the Paypal debit card was available in Canada, I would gladly use it. I generally transfer my earnings to my bank but as you say , that does take time. Hopefully down the road, paypal will allow Canadians to reap the benefits of this offer too!

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using my regular credit card tied to my PayPal account, these PayPal debit cards sound great. Are they just for those in the US however or are they available internationally?

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    At least Europe is good :cool:

Didn't even knew about this.:D
    Great stuff! Thanks.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I too have a PayPal debit card and I love it. I work online part time and it is nice to have instant access to my money when I get paid by the sites I work for. Before I got the card, I would have to wait 2 days when I did a money transfer request to my bank account. Once in a while I get a couple of cents as cash back rewards for using my card. I am not quite sure what purchases qualify, other than gas though. I need to look into this a bit more.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy having the Paypal debit card to access my funds when I sale an item on ebay. It makes getting paid a lot faster than having to transfer the money to your bank account which can take up to 5 days to be received by your bank.

9. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    The PayPal debit and credit cards sound rather interesting. Still, I would rather use my own credit card for online purchases, mainly because I can create virtual cards there, and I can more easily reverse (chargeback) transactions that are faulty or scam-related. I usually just transfer money from my PayPal account to to my bank account, unless I really want to purchase a product online. Even then, I'll only do it if the cost is cheap enough, is the vendor is reputable.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wondered the same thing, @Rosyrain@Rosyrain, and also need to look into it. It seems one of my recent grocery store purchases qualified for the cash back, but I'm not sure if they all do, or maybe they need to be above a certain threshold. I love my PayPal Debit Mastercard, have had it and been using it for years.

@Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady, more and more stores are now accepting PayPal. Home Depot, Best Buy, and Walmart, as well as many others, now accept payments via PayPal. Here's a link to the list of stores:

and the site states you can either use their app on your smart phone, or (this is their wording, copied and pasted)
    Forget your wallet.
    Use our app like a wallet to pay at the counter, from the table, or from around the corner, your order is in your hands. Or simply select PayPal at the register to log in and pay, just like online.

11. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a few months behind you, but I just got mine today. I don't know if or what the difference is between the debit and prepaid. I have the prepaid and linking it to my paypal account was brutal and made me feel kindof dumb. I called the paypal service hotline and they hooked it up for me.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would absolutely love to have this card, but something tells me that it's only available for the US and maybe Europe. Although, having said that, my card is linked to my UK account. So maybe I can apply for it and get my family in England to send to me. I think I'll look into this one. It would make everything so much easier for me :)

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a PP Business Debit Card for a few years now and it has saved my hide. In other words, my uncle (who died with more than a few pennies in his pocket) once told me to always have more than one bank account active because you never know what can happen in the future. As I got more online work, I have been able to take care of household matters. My only complaint is that up until a couple years ago, I could withdraw cash at any Chase ATM without a fee. Now it costs $3 :( so I just get cash back from my purchases.

14. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I went to the dollar tree to use mine for the first time today, and it gave me the option of cash back. I didnt know what it would charge, so I didn't do it. Ideally, I won't need to get cash out. My husband takes care of that. I use my card to take care of online charges... Netflix and the Ashworthcollege .

15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I do exactly the same, besides keeping your money in Paypal makes no more money while it waits to be spent, while sending to my bank account pays interest while the money is kept there.

It's not a big interest rate, but any money is good and I have direct control over possible reverse transactions. Paypal delays too much on this matter and many times ask you to go to the bank to clear things up because they can't.

16. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @LilAnn@LilAnn @jneanz@jneanz I've gotten cash back at Kroger and Walmart using my PayPal debit card, but haven't gotten cash back at Dollar Tree yet. There are no charges at Kroger, and I don't think there are charges at Dollar Tree, either. That's why I always get cash back using that or my bank debit card, because I refuse to pay ATM fees.

@Lushlala@Lushlala Just make sure that it's accepted where you are, so you don't go to the trouble for nothing.

17. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have not applied for a PayPal debit card because I haven't needed to. I have my bank account and my ISA account linked to my PayPal account and any money I send into my bank account is in there and available for me to spend withing minutes. :)

How widespread is this debit card accepted? Is it accepted in high street shops in the UK?

18. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the cash back tip! I'm allergic to ATM fees, so I have to be able to circumvent them. Lol
    I didnt realize they didnt charge me for the cards monthly fee. I was ready to go in the store to get something I didnt have the money for. Oops!

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know, Diane Lane. I doubt Botswana banks understand the whole Paypal thing. If my Paypal account was linked to a Botswana bank account, I'd be doomed. Luckily, it's linked to an active UK account and I've heard a few UK based people saying they have the Paypal debit card. So that's why I'm going to try it that way. Hopefully I'll be successful in securing one :)

Attached Files:

20. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Good, I hope you're able to secure one, and it works out for you. It's got the Mastercard logo on it, so it should be accepted anywhere Mastercard is accepted. I have no idea about how things work over there, but I think Mastercard and Visa are accepted pretty much in most places.