Paypal Is Down For A Week Now

Discussion in Payment Methods started by sidney • Feb 12, 2016.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, I finally tried to use a US proxy site to login to Paypal, 2 didn't allow Paypal to be visited, but the 3rd site did. What do you know, I was able to access the site and login! I never changed any of my browser settings. I guess my IP is being blocked for some reason. I still can't buy a gig at Fiverr though, since when I checkout Fiverr logs me out since I use a proxy. And Paypal only replied to my PM hours after I complained on their Facebook page. Not good. They probably would have ignored my PM if I didn't comment publicly.

@gracer@gracer, I know Smart uses different IP's for Smart Bro and Smart Prepaid. Can you get your IP? Just google "what is my IP" to know it. Where is your location by the way? I got to login to Paypal, but I used a US IP.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just went to my paypal account and I could login with no problems. I don't h ave a computer at home so I call their toll free number that's in the back of my paypal debit card and it worked last week. I hope your problem is fixed quickly.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try a VPN.

Cyberghost would be a good option or you could use any PPTP VPN. Visit VPNgate.net and take a look around. If it's your ISP blocking access to Paypal or Paypal blocking your IP, these will allow you to get around that.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, Thanks, I actually did just that earlier, and I was finally able to purchase from Fiverr. I used Psiphon though, I used it before when I bought a book in bookdepository.com because the price is cheaper when I use a US IP as compared to a local IP. Lol. The book was more expensive by around $2.50 when I visit the site with my real location! Now let's see how long this problem will go unresolved, I noticed that Paypal changed their main layout page again, and I think that caused the problems.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes me too, I logged into Paypal again just now, and I was able to log in and out with no problem at all. @sidney, I'm glad you've been able to conduct some transactions. I'm beginning to believe this problem is restricted to the Philippines. Have you heard anything back yet?!

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney I'm from Baguio and my IP is 121.54.54.50. I'm glad that you were able to log in using a US IP and were able to purchase what you wanted but there has to be some answer on why you couldn't log in with your original IP.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I told them of my "discovery" that I can now log in using a proxy site and I was told this:

"Glad to hear you find a workaround. I would advise not to use a proxy site for too long due to security. We dont want anything to happen to your account."

I replied that I still can't make purchases at that time, and they still need to fix the error since it clearly is a technical error from their end and they did not reply anymore. Well they shouldn't be complacent just because I found a solution! They should work on restoring the site's normal functionality for the sake of those people who are still having difficulties using the site!

@gracer@gracer, I see, I'm guessing that's Smart Bro, right? I used to get that IP when I use my Smart Bro sim. Right now I use Talk N' Text, and my IP is 203.87.144.15. I'm from a city in Manila. I will try using Smart Bro one of these days to see if I will be able to access the site. It's clearly an error from their end, since my IP is being blocked.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I'm using Smart bro. I use Talk N' Text as my call and text number though and I don't know if there's any connection but I've also been having problems with their service over the past weeks now. Their promos have been on topsy-turvy leaving me annoyed so many times now that's why I'm thinking of changing my sim to Smart or Sun.

9. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe @sidney....I'm surprised you actually told them straight up about using a proxy site LOL!! As far as I know, a lot of sites don't allow that, and some will even go so far as to ban you if you do that! But I totally get your frustration. I'm actually a little disappointed that even as we speak, they haven't done anything to address the situation. OR at least confirm that the problem's not on their end.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gracer@gracer, Maybe Smart is the one to blame for the error in connecting to Paypal? Who knows, right? I heard that Sun has very slow internet, so just make it your text and call number. TM has cheap text offers too, so you might want to check it out.

@Lushlala@Lushlala, Well my account is already verified, so I guess there's no issue anymore, but when I used my phone to purchase something, my browser uses a proxy, so it limited my account since I was purchasing using a different IP than the one I signed up with, so I was required to verify it. And they can't blame me for using a proxy, since their site is faulty! I won't be surprised if by March the site still has problems.

#30Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can you try logging in from a smart phone? Maybe that would be a way to get around the issue? Although I'm in the U.S. and haven't had any issues with PayPal lately, I can sympathize, because there are only two ISPs where I live, and neither is ideal. I can recall one time in the past when I was unable to access PayPal, during a DNS, and I totally freaked out, because I was trying to transact business. I use my PayPal account and the attached debit Mastercard pretty much on a daily basis, so an outage would really affect me.

12. Lushlala

Threads:
    I was actually on Paypal last night and today, and now seeing your post @Diane Lane, I just remembered sidney's woes with Paypal. @sidney@sidney....how're you getting on with that BTW? Any sign of your issue being resolved?! As far as I can tell, my account is running just fine; and I do hope your problems are a thing of the past now :) I too would be devastated if I couldn't access my account for days.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane, What is DNS? I tried logging in using my phone, but it always brings me back to the login page. It has been like that ever since they changed their layout.

@Lushlala@Lushlala, Well as expected they still have not resolved the problem and I am still using a proxy to log in to Paypal. I guess that's just gonna be the way to go for an indefinite period of time.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    DNS is Domain Name Server. I don't understand all the technicalities, but my understanding is it's a means of taking down a site without attacking the site itself. I just know that's the term that was reported in the news around the time that I was experiencing issues with several sites at the same time. Here's a link with more information, in case anyone would like to read it. From what I understand, there are various ways to go about attacking sites/companies, and DNS is just one approach.

15. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sidney....Oh man, that's such a shame! I just don't understand why they're taking so long to resolve it for you. I'm a little disappointed because I've heard such good things about Paypal's customer service, so that's a bit of a bummer. I'm really sorry to hear that you're still having to use a proxy to log in. I just hope that doing so won't get you in trouble with PayPal :)

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Well I don't think my account would be in trouble since it's already verified, but if it's not and you make a purchase then it will be limited. That has happened to me before. Well I doubt they would fix it since most people can log in anyway, maybe when they change the layout of their site then things might improve.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a little too late in the game with my comments but I think the maintenance (ergo PayPal being down) had something to do with their new interface. I checked my account recently and I hardly recognized the new PayPal. It's too complicated to navigate. I somehow miss the old interface because it was much easier to navigate. I haven't withdrawn money since the site makeover. I hope my transactions would move smoothly. I'm having a hard time getting used to this new system.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Surprise, surprise, I visited Paypal just now and it took them more than a month to resolve the problem. I can now go to the site directly without having to use a proxy. I agree as well that the old layout looked better than the current one.

19. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sidney....I'm glad you feel confident your account is safe. I was only voicing concern because of the response below that you received from Paypal on telling them you were using a proxy to log in, and the fact that I've known of sites closing people's accounts and banning them. But in all fairness, with so many other people using that method, they'll probably not shut down all those accounts. After all, they should be doing more to address the situation!

"Glad to hear you find a workaround. I would advise not to use a proxy site for too long due to security. We dont want anything to happen to your account."

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I guess I won't be using a proxy site anymore since they have already resolved the problem.. After more than 1 month! Using a VPN is safer than those proxy sites though, so the whole time Paypal was down I opted for the VPN option.