PayPal Negative Balance

Discussion in Payment Methods started by srinivas0812 • May 4, 2013.

1. srinivas0812

srinivas0812Member

Threads:
    Hello guys,

As my thread title said, did Paypal punish you by imposing negative balance on your account anytime? I faced this situation about a couple of years ago, I was dumbstruck to see those red bold figures on my account balance with a negative sign before them. I could not figure out a solution and decided to call them .They requested me to upload some documents and my issue is resolved in 24 hours. They said they had trouble transferring my withdrawal into my bank account and thus imposing a negative balance of $3 on my account.

2. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that before. In fact, I am confused by the whole scenario.

3. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    Alot of times there are time line gaps between the paypal account and the bank account. Not everything flows within the same time frame. So what paypal may recognize right away may take you bank longer to process. So when this happens there may be an issuficent funds fee that comes about. But even thought they can fix these errors it can still be a pain to have to go back and reprocess everything. That is why technology can be a bad thing sometimes. We are dealing with computerized systems more than actual human beings anymore. And the computer does not recognize or pick up on things sometimes and this is where the errors occur. Glad you got it straightened out though.

4. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a negative balance (much greater than $3) from refunds granted by Paypal after I had used the money. Any money received simply went towards getting the account back into the positive. There were no penalties or anything.

5. srinivas0812

srinivas0812Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, your PayPal balance will be pushed into negative depending on various issues. If you are a seller and made a sale using your PayPal and assume that you have withdrawn your balance. Now, in this case if the buyer raises a charge back, then your PayPal will be pushed in to negative balance.

Various cases are mentioned in here :

6. carclain

carclainNew Member

Threads:
    i've never had a negative balance. one of my friends have. i think it was from unlisted fees and refunds. took him a week or two to resolve the issue.

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Never used paypal until recently, where i have to receive payments from all over, and i really hope something like this doesn't happen to me.

By the way, does Paypal charge anything when transferring money from your account to a bank account?

8. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    I've never seen that happen with PayPal before. Although I have seen a negative balance before because I had a chargeback once. It was not fair, in my opinion, because it was a customer who decided to go through her credit card company and have them to reverse the charge. She still used the website that I created for her, but dumped me for another web designer (a friend of hers). I didn't mind being dumped because this customer was a pain in the rectum, but she kept the site and moved to another designer. I tried explaining this to PayPal but they still honored the chargeback, which left my account temporarily in the red, literally.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a negative balance in PayPal because of a fraudulent buyer. It was years ago. The buyer ended up getting my product for free. PayPal wouldn't and didn't listen to me. The buyer was always right. I stopped selling on eBay after that. The experience really left a bad taste in my mouth.

10. srinivas0812

srinivas0812Member

Threads:

No. They do not charge for any of the withdrawals. Actually, the fees depends on the country you live in and for the majority of them, it is zero. However, you can have a good idea by checking this page

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    My PayPal account was in the negative by $12 one time. I have a PayPal debit card and didn't account for a tip that I had added to my bill at a restaurant, so it left me negative. Nothing happened because money was deposited into my PayPal account about two days later, but I wonder if there would be any fees or penalties or anything if it had taken me a while to get it resolved?

12. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    It took me several weeks to resolve my large negative balance, and there were no fines or penalties. Of course, I had never had any kind of problem like this before, so maybe that made a difference. If it were to happen again, I wouldn't be surprised if things went differently.

13. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I actually had this exact problem. I had to phone PayPal multiple times in order to sort it out. Basically, I had an old account with a PayPal negative balance. I hadn't used the account for a few years, and had just created a new account this year. My credit card details were still attached to the old account, and these were the same details I wanted to use on the new account! I did not know the password and had even forgot the email address for the old account. I had trouble proving I owned the account but eventually I found the old email address and PayPal told me it was correct and so unblocked the account. They first told me they would handle the negative balance and clear it without charge because it was about 25p from what they told me. Somehow after about the fourth phone call the negative balance was now £2.25 and so they told me I had to pay for it, which I did. This process of unblocking the old account and removing the details then putting them on my new account took around 2 weeks and multiple phone calls, which I think was pretty ridiculous. At least it is sorted now though, but it was a real hassle to be honest.

14. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I have not experienced this either. Does this happen even when your account with them is just personal?