Paypal versus Moneybookers

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by BrianWolfe • Jun 2, 2013.

1. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    Hi!

I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between Paypal and Moneybookers (terms, benefits, features, etc.) and which one is more user-friendly?

I have Paypal and I have just linked it to one of my bank accounts. I am also considering creating a Moneybookers account. The reason is, I just started a new business that relies a lot on online payments from clients. While some may pay me for my services through Paypal, others specifically mention that they will pay through Moneybookers. While I've gotten familiar with Paypal, I'm afraid I know next to nothing about Moneybookers.

I'd love to know more about the differences between Paypal and Moneybookers and if either one is better for someone just starting out with an online business.

Thanks!

2. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    Ideally you would use both, if just so people have more options to pay you. I believe though that Paypal is the more commonly used of the two. With Paypal, you can even pay without an account using a card.

Paypal has a reputation for always siding with the buying in cases of disputes, unless the seller has incredibly good evidence of sending out an item (physical item, recorded delivery, etc). There are people who run scams with Paypal because of this, saying an item never arrived or their account was stolen or whatever else.

3. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the information! I will open a Moneybookers account today. Yes, I've heard similar stories about PayPal scams. I'm working as a copywriter and professional translator to make ends meet, therefore I rely a lot on PayPal to receive payment from clients. Usually clients in Europe and Japan pay on time and keep their word. I'm usually wary of people from other parts of the world.

Yes, Moneybookers would just be an additional payment option.

Thanks again for the advice!

4. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    As a European and as someone who used to live in Japan, I'm glad to know that those are the trustworthy areas. ;)

I'm glad that you've worked it out. If you're willing, please update this thread after a few weeks and let us know what you think of Moneybookers in comparison to Paypal.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use both but I recently transferred all of my Moneybookers money into my bank account because there are hardly any companies which accept Moneybookers. Paypal is the universal service and that will not be changing anytime soon. The money in my Moneybookers account was dormant because there was nowhere to spend it.

6. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't even heard of moneyookers until recently so I can't imagine it being too popular. Paypal is good enough to handle of my online transactions and I've never faced any problems with it.