Paypal

Discussion in Shipping Services started by tasha • May 11, 2015.

1. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I want to clarify a thing about the now-separate companies here: They don't separate in terms of further cooperation or anything. Things won't change for us customers, they just believe that them being two separate companies will possibly raise profits by a few percents. You don't have to worry about the separation, things will go just like before. But it's true that if PayPal or eBay wanted to retreat from the business, they could do it without hesitation. But I pretty much doubt it, to be honest.

2. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    What is the point in separation though if there is no difference in customer relations to do with eBay? I don't think it will make any difference in profits because it's always been seen as PayPal a separate company than eBay, because nobody would of known if they actually just had a PayPal account, just like I did.

3. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't know how it would affect profits, either, I'm not an economist, but I can definitely say this is just false information to release to mass media, because I really believe something bad happened within both companies and now want to separate for the sake of both, but they just wouldn't tell and that's quite understandable. Still, if this is the case, then we can say goodbye to the cooperation between them, and the ease we've had until now with PayPal integrated in eBay.

4. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That's very interesting. What ease though is it with having PayPal integrated in eBay? I mean, it's only one click away that you have to pay through PayPal and once they're separated it will be the same thing, so I fail to understand what it actually means. If you could explain it, please do.

5. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    IMO, they are completely different concepts which don't fit under Ebay's labeling. Ebay initially developed PayPal not because they wanted to make a company out of it, but because they wanted to make an easier method for customers to pay, but they embraced its true potential and made what we see today, but they probably don't see that PayPal can become as fruitful as it could potentially get by itself. Again, this is my opinion. In regards to the fact that it will remain the same as before, I will restrain my hopes. They are not in any way bound to cooperate with Ebay anymore, so if they wanted to cease dealing with them, they would do it in an instant.

6. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have always had a good experience with paypal. It is a good service that really works for its users. I like the convenience and the professionalism. I also like the buttons to place on your website for convenient sales.

7. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    If they did, do you think fees would be higher to the point that people wouldn't want to sell on eBay, or buy on eBay? I mean what could possibly go wrong for eBay if PayPal chose not to deal with them. I mean surely, they still deal with them now but it's a separate company, I'm sure PayPal wouldn't prevent eBay, but thinking about it now, it's an issue of fees. PayPal has really high fees and if it's a separate company from eBay, it could make large profits from fees.

8. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Fees would be the least of their problems, to be completely honest with you. Many other companies like Ebay, take for example Amazon, have already implemented their own payment system because they know how important it is to have their own system since it attracts customers more easily due to the psychological factor. I, for one, trust more to give my personal information to a separate network of payments as opposed to always inserting my credit card in a page which isn't that secure.

Though to answer your initial question, fees wouldn't raise more, they will stay the same as you've seen them for the past years because they've calculated everything accordingly.

9. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Okay that's a good thing. Still, the fees are way too high using PayPal though which absolutely sucks. I mean even eBay itself, the fact that you have to pay fees to sell items, and the fees are also quite high, it's a bit unreasonable, don't you think?

10. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Such a big business should be monetized accordingly, and their way of doing business ensures overall happiness among its users. Think of it this way: PayPal doesn't charge you any single fee for registering and being a member of their services, but they do charge you every time you use their services. Instead of them charging you one-time, monthly or annually, they take a small fee per made transaction, for example. This is one of the best business models there are currently in the world, and it is so effective that PayPal has a userbase of around 500 million people, almost half of Facebook's. And bear in mind that, personal information wise, PayPal is more trustworthy than Facebook, so the latter could possibly not have that many genuine users.

And to answer your question, without taking the part of Ebay or Paypal's... no, I really don't think their prices are that high. It's actually better than the majority.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think the payment model is necessarily why PayPal is so popular. I think it is a matter of recognition and trust. Everyone, everywhere, has heard of PayPal. PayPal has a decent record. So, people are more likely to trust not only their personal information but also their banking information to a well-recognized, reputable, trusted company than they are to the johnny come lately types.

I've never had a problem with PayPal, and I've used it for years. I wouldn't even be interested in trying another system, even if it had lower/less fees (besides, many of my vendors pick up my fees at this point). I trust PayPal.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think PayPal has gotten bigger than simply being used as the primary payment method on eBay, and that's why they have separated. I doubt it means they will no longer cooperate, or work together for their common good. PayPal is now accepted in many brick and mortar stores, in addition to being strictly online, and they also have a payment card reader for smart phones. I think the separation is simply to enable PayPal to sprout wings and progress into other endeavors.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really had a problem with paypal. I consider them to be a safe and reputable source of receiving money form online sources. I have ocassionally used it to pay for items online as well. It seems to be a good source.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm going to have to agree when it comes to Paypal fees. What makes it even more frustrating is that Paypal is universal at this point. almost everybody uses it as their primary payment processor, and almost every major website provides the option to pay through Paypal. On top of that, there are no other major payment processor alternatives, so you are sort of stuck with those fees, and there is very little that you can do about it.

15. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I love Paypal because the idea itself is just a great concept. To be able to purchase from almost any website online and also be able to safely store your money in there is a plus. And there's also the convenience that sending and receiving money is such a breeze. Best part is I've never had any issues or trouble with Paypal. Always had secure transactions when it comes to buying or selling or transferring to my bank. No troubles at all.

16. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Its fantastic and what a good way to be able to buy something from all over the world. The fees are sometimes a little higher than usual especially when you convert it to your bank.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using Paypal for quite some time now and I can say that it has been really a big help especially with my online transactions. My only concern is the balance transfer period wherein it takes some time to reflect on my bank account. I hope they can figure it out but all in all, I like using it and they provide quality service :)

18. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using paypal for couple of years and I can say there is no reliable payment gateway comparable to paypal. The only payment system that is similar to paypal is payza, however, payza has many drawbacks compared to paypal. Recently, I bought two digital goods and paid through paypal and payza. When I did nt receive my product for more than three weeks (it was supposed to be delivered digitally), I filed disputes. I have already received refund from paypal and on payza my case is still pending.