PC World, Comet and Currys

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by FortisLupus • Sep 5, 2012.

1. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    What really Galls me concerning these "major" retailers is the lack of knowledge the sales people have when it comes to PC's and Laptops. If the information isn't printed on the store cards, they don't seem to know anything about the items they have on display.

For instance (and this is a personal treat I give myself), I went into PC World a few weeks ago and started browsing the PC/Laptop section. Along comes a sales rep to ask if I need any help. Straight away I pointed out one of the high end gaming PC's and started asking questions... "Is it upgradable?", "What size cache does it contain?", "What is the depreciation value?", "Will it run Linux or just windows?"

The latter question could have been answered by my 12 year old son. ANY computer can run Linux as well as, or instead of Windows. Did the sales rep know this? Not really, he had to go to his manager for the answers...

Does this sound like the kind of people that you want to buy hardware from? They aren't exactly NerdHerd material (Chuck quote there), needless to say, when I spoke to the manager regarding these questions, he asked me if I was a mystery shopper and then whether I was looking for a job!

My advice? Avoid places like PC World, Comet or Curry's if you're looking for a new PC or Laptop, seek advice from a knowledgeable and reputable source. I'm always available to give free advice on what computer is best for your needs, where to get it from or even how to build it yourself. Don't be stung by computer illiterate sales rep's only out to increase their own commission. Save yourself money and hassle and seek help before diving in.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. You can't even go into their stores to ask a simple question on processing or battery life. It's ridiculous how little they know. They should hire some tech experts to come into the store if they want to stay ahead of the game.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We must have been lucky when we replaced my husband's laptop, then. We went to an out of town store at Marsh Mills in Plymouth, and we found the sales people really knowledgeable. For a small fee, they even set up the computer so it was ready to go, and it was worth it not to spend a few hours configuring all the bits that needed to be configured. Also, they didn't try to steer us to the high ticket stuff. They asked our requirements, and recommended the best deal based on that. We'd recommend that store and its staff to anyone.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I rely on online information most of the time. I find it quicker and easier to find any computer-related information, make comparisons, and even post specific questions at expert websites. The option to customize your PC on some retailer websites, like Dell, makes it a lot simpler to see what's available, even if you don't really end up buying from them.

5. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Very lucky Sandra. It's the only store I've heard of that has knowledgeable staff. I might just have to pay them a visit, just out of curiosity, and put them to the test :)

If they can out nerd this ubernerd, then I can see a good review being sent to their head office. Although I may suffer a little disappointment at not being able to put them in their place. But such is the price of finding good quality staffing :)