PDF or Epub which format do you prefer?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by limitless1585 • Jul 2, 2014.

1. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I hate the Epub format. I hate it when they make books only in Epub format and not in PDF. I can't find a reader both for Epub and PDF.

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to prefer only PDF files but only because I don't have an ePub reader. But now that I do (thanks to

), I now prefer ebooks in epub formats. :)

You can try downloading

for PDF files and

for ePub files. Both are free, doesn't take a lot of computer space and very easy to use.

3. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I'm currently using an extension of Google Chrome for Epub format. I've never heard of this program before, I'll definitely check it out.

I find Nitro PDF a better pdf reader, than any other. I don't recommend Adobe Reader, even though it's the most famous pdf reader. If you open more books one after another, Adobe Reader has a program that continues running after you close the reader and it is using 100% of the CPU.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like Epub. It is weird to be, though I know a number of others who enjoy it. I also have a hard time getting Epub to download. It never wants to work with any of my programs on the computer or on the phone. Maybe it is just because I have used PDF so long that I like it. But I find it less of a hassle to download it and use it. Plus it is easy to turn anything into a PDF.

I have noticed a lot of e-books will have just Epub. But I think that is bad business. Most of the good e-books will have at least 2-3 choices if not more.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the format of the file I download. If you can't find a reader there are lots of free converters that you can use to convert the file to your preferred format: PDF, RTF, Text . . .

If you want to avoid the lengthy conversion process just install an extension on your browser as it has been suggested and you won't find epubs to be that bad after all.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    For mobile use, I prefer reading epub formats. Most of the books I read can be downloaded on Epub. I use Aldiko reader on my mobile device. It can open both epub and pdf files. What I like about epub is that I can adjust the fonts, brightness, and the background easily which I can't do on PDF files. I'm fond of using the night mode which has a black background.

I haven't tried reading epub format on my desktop computer because PDF is my primary choice for desktop reading.

7. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I prefer EPUB because it lets me highlight stuff that I want to refer back to later, I can bookmark my pages and it has page numbers, so I know where I am and how much more of the book I have left! But PDF's are great for when you need to read something that is short like an article. I'm surprised though, that they don't make PDFs for everything, many devices don't support EPUB and in such cases, PDFs are your only option.

8. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    You mentioned that you couldn't find a software that would read both formats...then try Adobe Digital Editions. This should be able to read in both ePub and PDF formats.

As far as these two go, I like the variable layout of ePub. It fits every screen and allows a lot more potential variability. It does have the downside of picture reformatting, though that can be overcome if the book is formatted correctly in the first place.

9. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer PDF because it's more convenient to use. For epub formats, you can download this program called Calibre, it lets you view .epub formats and all other file formats there is. I think Calibre works as a viewer and a converter as well, so basically it covers a wide range of file formats you can view or convert. I had the program before and i couldn't say anything bad about it. It does the job and the interface looks really elegant. But now, i'm using Kindle for reading and couldn't be happier with it. ;)

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    PDF, I prefer it more. I think the manipulation of the page is easier there as compared with the epub, especially with textbooks. But for just reading a fiction, I think I would prefer to read it on epub, because it's readily formatted and much more readable.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends actually because I once converted an e-book, I think it was Haruki Murakami's South of the Border, West of the Sun, from PDF format to Epub format. I don't know how I did it but you actually have the option to do this. It looks fine and less intimidating as Epub format. In its PDF version, the words look like a jungle and it just intimidated me.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I honestly don't know the difference between the two, but I prefer PDF more solely because it's much more accessible between multiple tools. I have a few apps on my devices that read PDF but only one or two that reads only epubs, and honestly I'd much rather just need one app for everything but unfortunately now I have to deal with two types of files which I dislike. I don't mind using either but I wish there were a single standard.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed with this. PDF files are easily the most accessible format to work with and the easiest to play with and convert if needed. That's important because I don't want to have to waste time finding all sorts of different converters for different files I find online. So while I do have a few files in epub format, I actively look to find files that are PDF.

14. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer epub over PDF. There are many programs out there that can read both. It's just a matter of finding the right app for your device. For mobile, I use Cool Reader. On my desktop, I use Calibre.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    PDF is honestly the inferior format. It doesn't have proper rescaling, it can be very easily infected by malware, it's bloated.. that's why more and more people and corporation are moving toward EPUB. PDF has some use, but definitely not for a normal eBook.

16. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I have to choose these types of things I tend to want both. I don't have an E-pub reader, so I would have to get one to read those types of documents. But I also didn't always successfully access my .PDF, sometimes I had to make the request twice or download the files twice because the files can't be opened on my .PDF reader. Even for .PDF files I actually needed to find out which app they open with. I also would ask for recommendations on how to read the files from the publishers. If the book needs a reading app, then I would want to find out which app is their go-to app.

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, when i read on my computer, i prefer PDF formats because honestly, i have no clue what program works for epub formats. I heard Calibre opens epub formats but i think it's too much work to download it and learn it. So I'd stick to PDFs. And on my mobile, i have Kindle so i really don't worry about pdfs or epubs.